Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at some traps.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Wish I would have read this a couple hours ago. Just set some traps for the first time and they are probably to close to trees.
    I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you have good anchors and traps you’ll probably be fine. I’ve had plenty that tore the bark off trees but didn’t get out. I’d check them first thing in the morning though, they seem to get more anxious to get out the longer they’re in a trap in daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you have good anchors and traps you’ll probably be fine. I’ve had plenty that tore the bark off trees but didn’t get out. I’d check them first thing in the morning though, they seem to get more anxious to get out the longer they’re in a trap in daylight.
    My boys wanted to get into trapping so I got them some for Christmas. I need all the advice I can get.

Whitty look up management advantage on youtube and watch their trapping videos
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Yeah I’ve been watching them and they make it look easy. It’s all the little things that I don’t know and I’m sure there’s going to be a learning curve.

Yeah I watched a ton of videos. Reason I set the camera on one is so I can watch the trap and figure out how to set it better. I used screen at first to cover the pan but now I am just using a few leaves to cover the pan before placing dirt over the trap. Biggest thing is the trap bed.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

My buddy uses a piece of coffee filter paper to cover the pan before siting dirt. All works the same I guess.

Yeah I cut some screens but don’t like how they lay. Gonna try something else I think.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Yeah I cut some screens but don’t like how they lay. Gonna try something else I think.
    A little bit of polyfill under pan works well. The stuff that fills pillows. I personally like a piece of wax paper. I lay it over the trap than cover. Works really well

How often do y’all bait n add lure? Types of bait lures y’all use?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

So got another coon but had a dang coyote pulled a super steak out of the ground. Trap was an 550 so def had no trouble holding compared to the 1.75s which I have had 2 coyotes pull a leg out. Steak was chain to swivel to chain to swivel on trap. It was just under the swivel and was set correctly. Guess add the rain made the ground a little soft……
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use screen mesh and cut a little rectangle. The pillow foam works fine. They make a tool for the MB traps (and likely others) that covers the pan while you backfill. It don't prefer it.

I typically re-bait/re-fresh after a week or two but I've had traps catch yotes after two weeks of no activity or refreshing.

I've never had an anchor pulled.

Cavens and carmans work well for me. Prefer Caven's. I use fox urine (red and grey).

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post

I've never had an anchor pulled.
    Me either, I’ve had cables break and J hooks open (before I started welding them) while trying to pull traps but never had a super stake fail. I now use the drill and auger to dig up the anchors when pulling and it is some much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Me either, I’ve had cables break and J hooks open (before I started welding them) while trying to pull traps but never had a super stake fail. I now use the drill and auger to dig up the anchors when pulling and it is some much easier.
    Well I should correct that. When it dries up I will check a little more closely but looks as if the anchor was pulled but the cable that was on this one could have very well broken. I also mis spoke with the super stake on the 550s. The trap that is gone now is a 550 which was my brothers and it had different stakes in them than the 1.75s that I purchased. I believe the 550 had wolf fang anchors attached by a cable. Cable was in the ground all they way to the swivel.

I also weld the J-hooks. I had a few open before I started welding. I also use chain rather than cable and have to dig out the super stake anchors.

Yeah the 1.75s I ordered had the super stakes on chains. The 550s have the wolf fang stakes on cables.

I’ve also never had one pull a stake. I know it happens though.

Coon creek outdoors on the tube will teach and show you all you ever need to know about trapping.

Squares of pipe insulation under the pans.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Coon creek outdoors on the tube will teach and show you all you ever need to know about trapping.

Squares of pipe insulation under the pans.
    Will have some time today so will be watching! The leafs seem to work pretty well.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 01-05-2023 at 07:51 AM.

Pipe insulation.