Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at some traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Hope you got plenty of batteries. If you catch one that camera will take a lot of photos of a caught critter.
    Try and check your traps with a pair of binos instead of getting up close if you don't have to.
    I didn’t put a camera on them.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Ten four.

Just use binos to check the traps.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

One egg eater down
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I run MB 550 too... just ordered some DUKE 550, we shall see

So had a coyote going nuts last night in one of the traps. Went to check it and dang thang had pulled its leg out.

Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Dang.
    Yeah. Reset all of them. Made the beds a little firmer, baited again with all rain, and set a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    So had a coyote going nuts last night in one of the traps. Went to check it and dang thang had pulled its leg out.
    Manufacturer and brand of trap?

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    Manufacturer and brand of trap?
    He has Bridger 1.75's and it's my fault. When I was looking for the right starter pack, I copied the wrong link. I meant to send him the MB550 starter pack.

He'll catch stuff and he'll even catch yotes with the 1.75's, but they are no 550's. Hopefully has he gets into this and grows his collection of traps he'll add some MB550's.

I got a few already trying out the 1.75 and gonna set some of the 550s once I get back from Arkansas. Changed a few things made the beds a little better and set up some guide sticks stones and maybe a little better foot grab. Thinking they are not stepping in the right spot to get a good hold. The 2 that I have got something in have roots beside them acting as guides so maybe that’ll help. Had another trap this am with nothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So been getting a lot of nothing lately. Little closer look and getting tracks around the trap and to the bait hole. So I reset the traps off set and back a little more from the hole. I also added some screen to the traps to keep some dirt from under the pan. Baited them back up after a week and some rainy days. Did all the traps different. Baited them and fox urine on some coyote urine on others only did a lure on one coyote gland. So we shall see!

So I have had about 6 pulls from the traps. I think it’s my fault more than the traps. Using the bridger 1.75 I think I left too much chain out of the ground giving them too much room to pull out. So gonna reset them tomorrow leaving less chain out of the ground. I did set some new traps out today. Some 550s so will see how that goes.

I suspect it's more of an issue with the bridgers than your technique. I doubt you'll have the same result with the MBs, especially the 550s. I've caught and held coyotes in the 450s.
    Last edited by TennDan; 01-01-2023 at 06:17 PM.

The 550s will hold quite well.

How many times have you caught your hand in a trap?.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    The 550s will hold quite well.

How many times have you caught your hand in a trap?.
    None so far. Got the tips of my gloves just the other day was a close one. I just use a stick close by to clean the pan up and everything.

It isn't as bad as you'd think. It won't break anything. I got caught with a 550 and getting out by myself took some agility and flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    So I have had about 6 pulls from the traps. I think it’s my fault more than the traps. Using the bridger 1.75 I think I left too much chain out of the ground giving them too much room to pull out. So gonna reset them tomorrow leaving less chain out of the ground. I did set some new traps out today. Some 550s so will see how that goes.
    Try moving those traps away from trees. The only coyotes I’ve ever had pull out were in traps close to trees where they could get some leverage.

Are you seeing tracks and know for a fact it’s coyotes? Normally if a critter “pulls out” they leave something still in the trap. If you’re using urine, deer are a likely culprit, they get curious and investigate. Trap goes off, they pull the chain tight, and it slides right off. If the ground within length of the chain isn’t torn to pieces like a rotor tiller went through there that most likely isn’t coyotes pulling out. Just my .02

I have a camera on one that will take one 60 sec video per hour. I think with the 1.75 they don’t hold tight enough with enough room to pull out the foot comes. One is close to a tree. I’ll have to take some photos and post them up tomorrow. Will say those MB chain stakes are hard to pull lol

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    Try moving those traps away from trees. The only coyotes I’ve ever had pull out were in traps close to trees where they could get some leverage.
    Wish I would have read this a couple hours ago. Just set some traps for the first time and they are probably to close to trees.