Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at some traps.

Default Looking at some traps.

How’s this go as a starter kit? Anything anyone would recommend https://www.animaltrapsandsupplies.c...piece-kit.html
    Last edited by darealdeal; 11-20-2022 at 08:23 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Do you use the wool n bait that comes with it or better to use something from a squirrel?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I really like the MB 550 traps, they are very sturdy and require almost no modification out of the box. A slightly cheaper option would be the Duke knock off of the same trap. I’ve heard good things about the Bridger #2 dogless trap also. The kit that reeltight linked looks pretty good however the bridger #1 3/4 wouldn’t be my first choice for a trap. I don’t like where the pan pivots, tension adjustment, or the cheap flat dog vs how the MB 550 comes out of the box but I’m sure it will work. I use and really like the super stake earth anchors. You can make your own driver out of some rebar or round stock and a grinder without much effort. Same goes for a “sodbuster” hammer, a 3 lb cross pein and a little flat bar and a welder. The only time I’ve wanted a small shovel while trapping is when I’m going after beavers. I use my “sodbuster” for all my digging and your stake driver can make your hole for a “dirt hole set”. I do like a either 1.5” or 2” auger for a cordless drill. Can use for dirt hole sets but also great for digging up earth anchors. Need a way to test your trap pan tension, you want 3-4lbs. I use the bait and wool that come in those kits but have used beaver before and know people that use duck carcasses and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Thanks fellas. Ordered the Bridger traps and got a free one with he order. Coyotes seem to have free run and no one traps around my place sooo time to end that.

Good luck
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Just making sure I understood correctly. With my hunting license I am good to go for under 5 with traps? Meaning I do not have to apply for a trapping license?

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Just making sure I understood correctly. With my hunting license I am good to go for under 5 with traps? Meaning I do not have to apply for a trapping license?
    That is correct. If you are not selling you dont have to have a special trapping license anymore. I think you can have as many traps as you want you just cant possess more than 5 animals. Alot of ditches between traps
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 11-21-2022 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rem11-87 View Post
    That is correct. If you are not selling you dont have to have a special trapping license anymore. I think you can have as many traps as you want you just cant possess more than 5 animals. Alot of ditches between traps
    That is what I thought! Thanks

Man, I'm not sure what you ordered, but looking back on this I realized I posted the wrong link to what I meant to give you...

The MB 550 OS is the great all around trap.

https://www.minntrapprod.com/MB-Pred...info/550START/

The 1.75's will serve their purpose but the MB 550 is a suppier trap ready to go out of the box. I think some bigger yotes would pull out of the 1.75's.

MB 550 os with chained super stake ... I don't trust anything else for coyotes.

I looked up several reviews and whatnot of the 1.75 traps. Seems to work so will try these for awhile and see what happens.

The MB450s will also hold a coyote. I'll echo the Minnesota Trap line brand. Great trap.

For kill trapping you can’t beat a MB550 and a super stake setup. 550’s are durable and 0 tuning out of the box. I have some that are going on their 5th season that only need dye and wax each season. Good luck!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Well I will try these out and set up some cameras around them. See what happens. Had one around the house last night when I got home so we will see what happens. They are getting a little to bold for my taste.

Got the traps in and my brother had 3 MB550 so I will set them out as well. Did a vinegar bath for a few hours yesterday water to clean them off and let them sit out over night. Little rust on them so boiled some dye and now just gonna let them soak in it until I go get wax today.

Got my first 2 set gonna go and set 2 more shortly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! Let the fun begin.

Don’t be afraid to scatter some of that leaf debris back over the set (just make sure it is only leaves or grass and not anything that could get in the jaws of the trap. I usually grab a handful of it and scrub it across my sifter to try and blend the set back in with the surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd set.

Thanks for the input!

Idk how the second picture will do as my soon took a piss right beside it hahaha but he had a good time out in the woods on the first 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by darealdeal; 12-13-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Well I will try these out and set up some cameras around them. See what happens.
    Hope you got plenty of batteries. If you catch one that camera will take a lot of photos of a caught critter.
    Try and check your traps with a pair of binos instead of getting up close if you don't have to.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?