Thread: Fly line differences?

A crazy question for y'all...

I know my older fly line is a DT 6 weight.

However, I'm almost positive that a reel I purchased recently has WF 5 weight on it, but I'm not sure. What's the easiest way to tell if I've got a 5 wt. line and that it's not another 6 wt. line?

Same with making sure it's WF vs. DT?

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Good luck...That will be next to impossible to tell without a precise measurement at the taper in the belly of the line. DT.........not familiar with the application of a double taper!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I guess I can mic the line if I know what to look for other than just average width and taper shapes, etc.

A DT line is just a poor man's way of saving money by using both ends of the line once one end gets worn out.
    ~ George Washington

There is not going to be much difference in the 5 and 6 diameter. Do you have another 5 or 6 to compare this one to. The difference will be in the thicket point of the line...good luck!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

That's what I'm going to do this afternoon... lay the "new" one against my older DT 6 weight and see what they look like.

I suspect the newer 5 weight is a WF "nymphing" line based on a PM I got from the guy I bought it from, but he can't remember what he bought.

I'll check sink rates on it too.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

You can look at the taper to discern if it's WF or DT. To determine if it's 5wt or 6wt you really need to be able to weigh the first 30 or 40 feet of the line. The wt rating doesn't really have anything to do with the diameter. The diameter determines whether it floats or sinks.

You might be able to tell the difference in the way they cast. It should take less line out to load your rod when casting with the heavier line.

I used to have a chart that showed the weights one should expect for the different lines. I'll try to dig it up.

Fly Lines for Dummies - this link provides a good explanation of fly lines.

I suspect the newer 5 weight is a WF "nymphing" line
    Is the head of the line a different color than the rest? If so, it's probably a sink tip. You SHOULD NOT use any sink tip with the bamboo rod I sold you. Go ahead and buy a new line that you know will work. I suggest a Corland Sylk DT-5; the Sylk lines work well with traditional rods. You have a good rod so partner it with a good line.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Orvis has a superfine line made by scientific anglers, They sell it as wonderline, superfine is the type of taper, and it is made for their graphite full flex rods. I believe it would work well for a bamboo rod.

Originally posted by boondoggle:
    Fly Lines for Dummies - this link provides a good explanation of fly lines.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I suspect the newer 5 weight is a WF "nymphing" line
    Is the head of the line a different color than the rest? If so, it's probably a sink tip. You SHOULD NOT use any sink tip with the bamboo rod I sold you. Go ahead and buy a new line that you know will work. I suggest a Corland Sylk DT-5; the Sylk lines work well with traditional rods. You have a good rod so partner it with a good line. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks for the link, boondoggle. That's even better than the couple of books I've got.

The "new" line is NOT a "nymphing" line. It appears to be a regular WF line, and upon close inspection it's obvious it was not taken good care of for a line that supposedly was only used 2-3 times. It's got mini-cracks all over so it's basically shot from what I can see.

It also turns out that my memory isn't what it used to be. My old "DT" line is a WF, which explains why it's more tempermental than I've thought it should be. So I guess I need to buy a couple of new lines. A DT 6wt and a DT 5wt, although I've wondered if a DT 4wt wouldn't be better. This bamboo is a bit softer than I expected when used with the WF 5wt I mentioned above, although since you said the 5wt was the way to go I'll try that first. I can always use it on my 5wt rod if it doesn't feel right on the bamboo.

Thanks, Guys.
    ~ George Washington