Thread: Eco-Diesels

Default Eco-Diesels

I’m not in the market but I’m always curious on how things are holding up with these engines. For those with the Ford, GM, and Ram eco-diesels how have they been? What kind of mileage are you seeing empty and towing? What issues have you run into?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I, and 4 of my counterparts had 2015/2016 big horn eco diesels. All shit the bed in spectacular ways. I had my deleted and all. Ended up in the shop for three months before i traded back to gas. I haven't heard about the latest gen they came out with though. I think my highway MPG was right around 20 or so. It was a disappointment compared to what I had hoped for. I bought new and put 115K miles on it. I think I deleted around 105K
    Last edited by saltedbutter; 11-16-2022 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add info

I bought my Ran new in 2015. My onboard computer was always close enough to my calculated MPG that I quit calculating long ago. When I bought truck and through late 2018, my best non-towing interstate mpg on a trip from Ohio to MS was a little over 27MPG…coming back, it was 25ish. I always averaged just under 20 when driving in town for extended periods.

Then I had to get the damn “fix” because they gamed the system and cheated on their emissions reporting (or so I was told), and since then, my non-towing interstate MPG is 20-23 depending on wind conditions and direction and terrain. Around town, I average 16-18 depending on how I’m driving it. I need to do some manual calculations myself to make sure the onboard is still jiving with reality, as I have not done that since before the “fix.” If it’s accurate, I’m still happy with the MPG considering it’s a truck that’ll haul whatever I need to haul like there’s nothing back there.

I’ve heard of sone folks getting lemons that had repeated exhaust filter regeneration issues, but I’ve never had that issue.

The only issue I ever had with mine was when it went into limp mode on a trip from the UP to Indiana when I pulled over to take a leak and it was -4 ish. That issue was due to a sensor issue that likely happened because my wife slid it off the road and into a giant snow drift a week earlier. I wasn’t there when the tow truck pulled it out of the snow bank, and I had no clue how deep she stuck the truck in there…so I didn’t realize the engine compartment was stuffed with snow/ice until I popped the hood after it stranded us. The shop that fixed it had to keep it a while trying to get it all thawed out during the “polar vortex cycle.” So, I honestly doubt that woulda happened otherwise.

No other issues whatsoever. ~120k miles. I haul hunting buggies and heavy loads of Osage wood from Wyoming to SC and back annually, and I drive the piss out of it…I’m very hard on stuff.

I’d look at the RAM series over others for one main reason; mine still drives/rides like a high-end luxury car, and I haul azz on miles upon miles of dirt/gravel roads here in Wyoming. Sometimes the dang “rabbit-bumps” are so bad that it’ll damn near bounce me off the road if I’m not “on-it” when I’m hauling ass for 40 miles trying to beat sunrise to a hunting spot. Crap will fall off the dash and console and seats and out of the visors as I’m skipping along those bumpy areas…which is 80% of the roads, yet there isn’t a freaking rattle or creak anywhere in the truck. Every Chevy or ford I’ve owned or driven with ANY age on it always has a dash or door rattle or creak that drives me nuts. Not this one. It’s quiet as can be as far as road/engine/rattle and creak noise. I did buy the Laramie Longhorn edition, so maybe the King Ranches are just as rattle free and quiet, but I don’t know that for sure.

9 speed transmission is so smooth I never notice it’s shifting thru the gears and has had no issues. It does not like to back a heavy loaded trailer up a hill in reverse, so I avoid doing that unless I have to.

I’d definitely buy another one just like it without hesitating, but I plan on driving this one till they plant me.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I’ve got the GMC 3.0 and had it for 10k and so far so good. They started making theories in 2019 and haven’t seen a whole lot of issues other than a no crank problem that was software related and that was fixed last year. I’m on a. Few forums for the motor and it’s been relatively dependable. Like anything there’s other issues and failures but from what I’ve seen they have been normal percentage wise for a mass production vehicle.

I’ve basically quit posting. However I do read almost if not all the threads in this forum. I speak from experience, not opinion.

My question to the general public would be…. Do you you have nothing better to do but spend 50k on a truck and read on a forum the problems it has then turn around and ask whatever everyone else thinks?
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I’ve basically quit posting. However I do read almost if not all the threads in this forum. I speak from experience, not opinion.

My question to the general public would be…. Do you you have nothing better to do but spend 50k on a truck and read on a forum the problems it has then turn around and ask whatever everyone else thinks?
    I asked bc I have nothing better to do. I drive an 06 tundra.

I’ve noticed though that your posts from the shop never are about tundras and rarely are about Rams.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    I asked bc I have nothing better to do. I drive an 06 tundra.

I’ve noticed though that your posts from the shop never are about tundras and rarely are about Rams.
    They all break or I wouldn’t have a job. As far as asking and nothing better to do…. That’s sad.
    More fuel = more boost!!