Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: used bow market

b-stick has the Switchback XT in the Trading Post. That model is widely considered to be one of the favorite classics from Mathews. I think I have his bow's twin brother that I bought from b-stick many years ago. I have a newer bow but the Switchback is the one I still grab to hunt with. It's a 27.5" draw.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...-Switchback-XT

Buy that switchback

done
    Windows Down!

The bow needs to fit the shooter. He needs to be measured before buying anything. Otherwise you are setting him up for possible failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just buy a crossbow, they're the same thing anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Just buy a crossbow, they're the same thing anyways
    Imaging you spend all year perfecting your swing. Then on tournament day some yankee tells you he belongs on the same course, playing for the same check, except he is allowed to shoot golf balls out of an improvised 6ga shotgun.

That’s how bowhunters view crossbows.

And I’m not a crossbow hater. I don’t care how a man kills his Vittles. But there is a discernible difference.
    Last edited by wiz18; 11-15-2022 at 04:44 PM.

Let me preface this by saying that I no longer bow hunt and would by no means call myself qualified to speak to anything bow hunting.

I bought a used Mathews Q2 when I started college and needed one to hunt bow only land. I think I paid $200 for it on eBay.

That Q2 worked great, and it killed deer just fine. It was 2 inches longer than my actual draw length, had a $40 walmart tru-glo site on it, and the peep site was crooked to where I had to turn the string a certain way every time before I drew it back. The deer didn't know any different and I made it work just fine.

After college I used it for a while and decided I just never would catch the bow bug. Sold it here recently and I hope it it still being put to good use. For $200 I'd say it was a good investment and no wasted money was spent to figure out I just wasn't a bow hunter.

My 2cents would be to buy a cheap one, truly figure out if it's something he wants to stick with, and if so, gradually upgrade as deep as his pockets would allow.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I no longer bow hunt and would by no means call myself qualified to speak to anything bow hunting.

I bought a used Mathews Q2 when I started college and needed one to hunt bow only land. I think I paid $200 for it on eBay.

That Q2 worked great, and it killed deer just fine. It was 2 inches longer than my actual draw length, had a $40 walmart tru-glo site on it, and the peep site was crooked to where I had to turn the string a certain way every time before I drew it back. The deer didn't know any different and I made it work just fine.

After college I used it for a while and decided I just never would catch the bow bug. Sold it here recently and I hope it it still being put to good use. For $200 I'd say it was a good investment and no wasted money was spent to figure out I just wasn't a bow hunter.

My 2cents would be to buy a cheap one, truly figure out if it's something he wants to stick with, and if so, gradually upgrade as deep as his pockets would allow.
    As someone who started in a similar fashion with a flea market 80s model bow with aluminum arrows, I would have to disagree with this.

Starting with a bow thats 2" too long with a crooked peep thats most certainly way out of tune is only going to make archery that much harder for a true beginner.

Starting with an atleast semi tuned bow that actually fits the archer, with a peep thats setup at the right height, with an arrow/broadhead combo that works with that bow is the only way to go.

A fella doesnt need a $2000 hoyt setup to shoot, but there isnt any reason not to spend 300-500 on a decent, couple year old bow that will actually be enjoyable and effective to practice and hunt with.

How far are your stands from the feeders typically?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    ass kisser.
    he didnt say shit other than he's too stingy to buy a new bow.
    Pots and kettles

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'm still with my old platinum, put a cool looking shaft in though. I haven't used the old te in a while.. both are old, but cool

Online reviews, and make sure the strings are good, and the wobble biscuits

Attachment 79082
    I had a Ping Anser back in the day that I absolutely loved. Just hold it up and it would read the putt for you. All you had to do was hold the grip and let it do it’s work. When I got out of the Navy it was nowhere to be found. Heartbreaking I tell ya.

Nice, and it is

I have two old ansers.. I won't get rid of them, and an old ping b60. I've got a copper slotted ping, and one from the late 80's I putted with. I love them, and the basis of these.. I got rid of all my other putters. I own two more terylliums, one regular te newport that just sits.. just a head, no shaft after being refinished. My son has the other, it's beat to hell now. I had a declutter of putters.. and most of my clubs, kept my two sets of ping eye 2s, a copper set, and my youth set... and I kept a few of my old drivers, just for kicks.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 11-15-2022 at 05:35 PM.

Nice.

I know a guy…

first off, this bow isnt for me or my kid.

secondly, I too have a Q2 that i have had for years and my wife damn sure didnt ask my draw length before she bought it for me. maybe she got lucky.

C, I'll pass along your bow info, Bstick.

Fourthly, FAY
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    first off, this bow isnt for me or my kid.

secondly, I too have a Q2 that i have had for years and my wife damn sure didnt ask my draw length before she bought it for me. maybe she got lucky.

C, I'll pass along your bow info, Bstick.

Fourthly, FAY

You need to upgrade old man.

Bows can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make them. Just my 2 cents but I would look for a 4-5 year old flagship model bow of whichever brand he likes. Keep everything else simple, he only needs 1 or 3 pins and a whisker biscuit to start off with. As long as the bow fits him and he shoots a tuned bow with a decent broadhead he will be fine.

Going to a pro shop to get measured is the best place to start.

If you do FB, check out Pee Dee Discussion, Boxes and Bottle caps, South Carolina Hunters & Equipment, Pee Dee Man Cave to name a few...there's several Matthews listed now...

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    You need to upgrade old man.
    Why? He never uses it. He just holds it while deer walk past him. Slowly.

i'm a conservationist
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Sent you a PM. I have a like new Traverse that needs a new home.