Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Airline Approved Hard Rifle Cases

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Dude yeah I flew with a choke in my work bag from Charlotte to Burlington VT, they caught it when I was flying out of Boston. I don’t know how I made it out of there alive. Swarmed, detained, interrogated because they thought it was a flash suppressor. I had no idea it was in there.
    I had a similar experience trying to fly out of Canada once.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Ammo has to be in a separate locked case and stowed in your checked baggage. And, oh, the locks for gun cases should not be TSA approved. It a little counter-intuitive but I think they don't want a mouth-breathing TSA agent with a skeleton key having quick access to a gun inside of the "controlled" area...
    In Charleston they just take your keys. Been a bit since I read the rules but recall something saying they are not to open your case without you present. First time ever flying with guns and trying to get out of charleston at 6am, guns get checked at counter and a out 10 minutes later an agent comes from the back and asks for keys to cases. I said your rules state I am to be present when opening case. I was told charleston is not equipped to do so for security reasons. I replied that I didnt write their rules I am simply restating them and if thats not the way it is supposed to be then why did they write the rules that way? Lady responded if I planned on flying out that morning with my guns I would be handing over the keys. Complied simply because there was no other option for making my intended flight. Bullshit.

Flew recently again out of chs and the lady at baggage counter is the one who “inspects” to see if firearm is loaded. She and most of the people likely have no idea when it comes to that. Shotguns were in a hard case and then inside a gun sock so not visible. We opened case, she looked at us and said are they loaded? We said nope. Closed case, went on about check in process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Pack that meat in dry ice and ship it fedex and it will beat you home.
    Pretty sure they won't fly with dry ice, at least in a pressurized cabin, so a trip from Kodiak might be taking a boat, then ground all the way back to SC. And Fedex is neck and neck with USPS in their race to being the worst carrier on the planet. If you ever watch their tracking, they very often send stuff back and forth to the same distribution hubs a few times before they figure out where it's supposed to go. I would not send perishables via Fedex.

I like the TuffPak. You can fit three shotguns in soft cases and use some light-weight clothes for additional cushioning and still avoid over-weight charges. Inspection is easy. Just open it up, unzip the end of the soft case, pull the gun out leaving the soft case in place. When they are done, slip it back in its soft case, and go to next one. It can be a PITA if you stuff the clothes used for padding too tightly around the guns. Then, you have to partially unpack to get the guns in and out. You learn how to pack to minimize the hassle. Tricks like putting the most bulky items at the top of the case.

If you are only taking 1 or 2 guns, you can get most of your clothes and other stuff in the TuffPak and travel with one bag and a carry-on.

Another bonus is they do not look like gun cases. I have seen people slap labels on them saying they contain photography tripods or golf clubs. I have a “Geechee Boy Mill” sticker on one of mine. I also use them in car trips where I will be staying in motels. Easy to wheel into the room, does not raise any eyebrows or tip off anyone that you have firearms, and provides good security when you are not in the room.

I was turned on to TuffPaks when I went to a show where both Purdey and Holland & Holland were displaying their wares. Both used TuffPaks to bring their guns over from GB. They travel with very expensive guns all the time and I figured if they trusted guns which cost more then my house to TuffPaks, then there must be something to them.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.