Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airline Approved Hard Rifle Cases

Default Airline Approved Hard Rifle Cases

I am looking for a case that's light enough and big enough to carry four guns. I have a double scoped case that if I use two guns, and ammo I am pushing my 50lb airline limits. What's out there that's big enough, light enough, and tough enough to carry two scoped guns, two shotguns and possibly two large bore handguns with out eclipsing that magic 50lb mark?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I don’t think its possible once you throw in the handguns and ammo
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Trying my best to keep enough available baggage (limited to three checked bags) to bring home meat and horns. If I can consolidate clothing and firearms for two people into two check bags, I have more bags to fly critters home with me.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I almost went this route...a lot of the Africa regulars use TuffPak...

https://nalpak.com/tuffpak-1136-take-down-long-case/
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Ship the ammo separately?

This should be better than the truck bed 'lectricity thread.

You already checked with KRT?

I'd buy a case of steel shot from Rogers and have it drop shipped to the outfitter, probably can do the same thing with handgun and rifle ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    This should be better than the truck bed 'lectricity thread.

You already checked with KRT?
    Yeah. That went the distance. I gave up on that line of thought.

2 gun cases, pull padding, use clothing as padding.

Would be an absolute pain in the ass and unorganized, but It's going to be tough to do what you're looking to do.

or ship the guns ... but I'd personally get nervous doing that.

shipping guns isnt an option.

Ammo has to be in a separate locked case and stowed in your checked baggage. And, oh, the locks for gun cases should not be TSA approved. It a little counter-intuitive but I think they don't want a mouth-breathing TSA agent with a skeleton key having quick access to a gun inside of the "controlled" area...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I almost went this route...a lot of the Africa regulars use TuffPak...

https://nalpak.com/tuffpak-1136-take-down-long-case/
    I flew with a friend (on here) who has one of these. Up side is that he was able to get everything in one checked bag for the trip (one gun and clothes, no ammo). Down side is that he had to unpack all that crap for TSA to inspect the gun and it took a little longer.

So how much do the guns weigh? Said another way, what weight case are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I'd buy a case of steel shot from Rogers and have it drop shipped to the outfitter, probably can do the same thing with handgun and rifle ammo.
    This is what I have done on the past...

Figure 8lbs for the rifle. 8lbs for the shotgun. Handgun...dunno yet. 44 mag revolver or 10mm auto x2. I havent put a scale on them yet so I'm hunting the lightest case with the most capacity plus the most strength.

Curious about hard cases for golf clubs too.

32 lbs, plus handguns, plus ammo, plus weight of case? Not happening. My SKB with 4 short barreled 20 ga turkey shotguns is 47 lbs
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Don't think airlines allow 4 in one case 3 max

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I flew with a friend (on here) who has one of these. Up side is that he was able to get everything in one checked bag for the trip (one gun and clothes, no ammo). Down side is that he had to unpack all that crap for TSA to inspect the gun and it took a little longer.
    Yep. The upside is that the soft cases are in the hard case. Soft cases just become extra baggage when using a flat gun case. Everything is a trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I am looking for a case that's light enough and big enough to carry four guns. I have a double scoped case that if I use two guns, and ammo I am pushing my 50lb airline limits. What's out there that's big enough, light enough, and tough enough to carry two scoped guns, two shotguns and possibly two large bore handguns with out eclipsing that magic 50lb mark?
    Quit being difficult, it can’t be done