Thread: Float Fishing the Watauga (or Holston)

anyone?

i aint expecting much...but if anyone has tips/pointers about either of those rivers, let me know. I am heading that way next weekend.

thank ye in advance....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have a former roommate that float fishes the Holston a lot during this time of year. I don't know a lot of details other than they fish spinning reels from an inflatable raft with a redwood frame. One guy rows while the other fishes, etc. I'll see if I can get more info for you. Trout and Smallmouth, primarily. He says they have caught some monster trout doing this.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Eastern TN, beautiful country, i tell ya, lots of deep pools, lots of hatches throught out the day, couple of boat ramps, lots of people.......watch the TVN generation schedule, if they are generating the fish are biting, if not find a cool handed hooker and go back to whence you came.......

You need lots of split shot and nymphs, princes, zug's, and bitch creeks. Lots og big fish so don't bring that pansy ass 3 wt , you need a 5 or 6 wt rod.

Screw the Holston, we are going to the Watauga, Eastern TN into NC, closer to home.

Trophy section of the Watauga is usually pretty good this time of year but not with the stream conditions as they are now. You'd be wise to check out the Bunker Hill Rd Section of the S Holston but that would mostly be wading on the upper end. Like knee deep said, keep in mind the TVA generation schedule and if you decide to wade, I would advise against doing so when they generate or you will swim. When the water comes up, it comes up in a hurry. BH tellico #16-18 or the standard pheasant tail or prince. You might have some luck with streamers or double bunnies if the water is up. You could probably catch em on emergers or soft hackles fished on the swing also. Good luck. If you get in a tight spot call Hayden Copeland at the Appalachian Angler and they will put you on them

Next time you want to really get on them, call Bill Penland at Foothills FF in Greenville at 292-2406. A guy named Rod Salyers guides for FFF clients and is probably the best guide I have ever fished with. Bill and Chuck don't fuck around, they'll take care of you.

Ban Snake is right about what he said, ive done a lot of fishing up there and he is right on with the info and tips. Theo and Haden copeland are the men to talk to about that area, i worked for app. angler and they run one of the best programs in that area. if thier in alsaska call judson from elk creek outfitters he ought to help you as well. tight lines

Also the Holston is pretty good with small mouth, of course no spinner fishing bs, youve got to use the fly

Yeah BMAC really knows what he is talking about. He and I really hit the morning bite,...but then he knocked the can of corn into the water and we was out of bait

Travis France is the Greatest guide to paddle the waters of the Watauga and South Holston. I’ve gone on about a half dozen trips with him down those rivers in the past year. He guided for me on my honeymoon, that’s right two days after I got married I went fishing on my honeymoon. Go to adamsflyfishing.com or call Travis his number is 423-335-9813 a full day float trip down the trophy section for $350 that’s like a sore dick, you cant beat it. These are local guides the know the waters. Brownie Lyles is also a great guide.
    Aint nuthin' wrong wit killin' army possums! Or shockin' Catfish!

Also I've got pics of some of the fish we've caught with him and he fishes out of a 15 foot Hyde boat so you are some kind of comfortable. If you want to bring your on stuff that's fine with him, or you can just show up with hope and a prayer.
    Aint nuthin' wrong wit killin' army possums! Or shockin' Catfish!

Armadilla is not shiting you Travis France is the real deal, great guy and great fisherman. need to book early he has a good client base.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.