Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Boduke View Post
    My first shotgun was a weatherby SA-08 in 20 gauge and it’s a sweet shooting gun. Been looking at their rifles I’d love to hear about the weatherby rifle and how you like it.
    Going from a Remington model 770 to that is going to be a big change within itself.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Soooo after some thought on the subject. Gonna up grade to a weatherby vanguard multi-camo 30-06 with a threaded barrel and a muzzle break. Found one new for $725. Thanks for the discussion fellas.
    It’s your cabbage so buy what you want but there’s no way I’ll pay full price for a rifle with a muzzle break ever again, other than an AR. Every large center fire I’ve ever seen/shit absolutely require hearing protection. That’s all good at the range but sucks in a deer stand IMO. A 30-06 doesn’t need a muzzle break anyway. If recoil is a concern, I’d drop back to a 308/7mm08/a short mag caliber vs requiring myself to carry hearing protection at all time’s

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    It’s your cabbage so buy what you want but there’s no way I’ll pay full price for a rifle with a muzzle break ever again, other than an AR. Every large center fire I’ve ever seen/shit absolutely require hearing protection. That’s all good at the range but sucks in a deer stand IMO. A 30-06 doesn’t need a muzzle break anyway. If recoil is a concern, I’d drop back to a 308/7mm08/a short mag caliber vs requiring myself to carry hearing protection at all time’s
    It does not have a muzzle break on it but was going to get one as it has a threaded barrel. Not worried about recoil but less recoil wouldn’t be an issue. I already have hearing protection I keep in my bag so.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I done a lot of research into the vanguards a while back because I had narrowed my next rifle down to a tikka or vanguard. Just a few things I learned.

1. They aren’t “true” Weatherbys. They are Howa 1500s with Weatherby name.
    2. They have 24” barrels.
    3. They are not free floated.
    4. They tend to be very accurate.
    5. After 3 shots they end to open up pretty good due to the light weight barrel.

I ended up going with Tikka, but I think I would have been just as happy with the vanguard.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I done a lot of research into the vanguards a while back because I had narrowed my next rifle down to a tikka or vanguard. Just a few things I learned.

1. They aren’t “true” Weatherbys. They are Howa 1500s with Weatherby name.
    2. They have 24” barrels.
    3. They are not free floated.
    4. They tend to be very accurate.
    5. After 3 shots they end to open up pretty good due to the light weight barrel.

I ended up going with Tikka, but I think I would have been just as happy with the vanguard.
    I hunt with a. 257 vanguard I got off a buddy for $450 with 2 boxes of ammo. It's killed every deer I shot with it. I'm pleased with it.

Picked up this today. Sold my old Remington with the new vortex scope I had on it….. so had to upgrade the scope. 4x16-50mm vortex viper. Bore sighted and gonna throw some rounds down it tomorrow….
    Attached Images Attached Images

You will enjoy it. I have a .308 vanguard with a bell & Carson stock that I absolutely love to shoot. Dead nuts killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my first gun at 14-15. Dad had to “buy” it, and I put it on layaway at “Carolina Sportsman”. It was a used Remington 700 30.06, with a cheap Tasco scope for $400. It’s the model you load through the bottom of the bolt. Stocks are still beautiful and it’s killed a pile of deer and hogs over the years. I think it was around 98-99 when I got it. Thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Have any of you every used one of the franchi rifles? Feller handed me one at the gun store the other day and damn it was a nice gun.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Boduke View Post
    Have any of you every used one of the franchi rifles? Feller handed me one at the gun store the other day and damn it was a nice gun.
    What are the primary things you are looking for in a rifle?
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.