Thread: Wiring Question

Default Wiring Question

So got a 2020 trail boss and not wanting to add any switches if I can go without it. Was curious if anyone has tired to wire a light bar to the switch the cargo light is on? Figured a relay and whatnot to that would work instead of having to add a switch. Anyone done this or tried it?
    Last edited by darealdeal; 11-02-2022 at 08:22 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Depending on current draw, you shouldn't need a relay.

Just a heavy duty toggle switch mounted somewhere under your dash that doesn't look terrible would be my preference.

You can use an add-a-circuit module to split a circuit. Or, you can find an unused circuit and tap it. Just make sure you size your fuse properly.

If you wire this light to your cargo switch, you'll be turning them both on. I'd think you'd want to keep those independent.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Cargo light turns off when truck is in gear. Stupid concept in my opinion. I’d think you want light bar on while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Cargo light turns off when truck is in gear. Stupid concept in my opinion. I’d think you want light bar on while driving.
    You know I just thought about that. The switch enables and disables the cargo lights instead of on and off. I had not even considered that. Stupid question then. Well looks like I will be either adding the upfitter aux switch panel or just going and adding a switch.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

You could really class it up and add one of those Clap-on/Clap-off features. Talk about pimpin'.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

The brain trust strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    You could really class it up and add one of those Clap-on/Clap-off features. Talk about pimpin'.
    I like that idea

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    I like that idea
    Yea. I've thought about it more since posting and I like it too. But I think you can do better. Hear me out: A ceiling fan chain hanging down from the roof with big fuzzy dice to pull on.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Yea. I've thought about it more since posting and I like it too. But I think you can do better. Hear me out: A ceiling fan chain hanging down from the roof with big fuzzy dice to pull on.
    Like this

KRT installed some grill lights by rough country in my 2020 Silverado. Keeps the factory look and helps on those dark nights.

https://www.roughcountry.com/10in-sl...500-4wd-740495
    "run and gun guide service"

put the pods in my rear bumper and found a universal on/off remote I worked into the wiring....no toggles on the dash and i can operate the lights outside the vehicle as long as running lights are on.....they cannot be left on when truck is cut off

* left on, not off
    Last edited by cleancutredneck; 11-02-2022 at 10:55 AM.

I got a lasfit LED while switching the lights to LEDs so going to install it behind the grill. Looking now at the remote rough country switch. Looks like that is what I am going to use. Easy enough.

Just got the rough country remote switch. Easy enough to handle.