Thread: Filling a pond from a Well?

Default Filling a pond from a Well?

Thinking of building a 1+ Acre pond, valley lays out perfect, but not enough watershed to keep full. Always hear people talking about filling a pond from a well but never actually met anyone that does it. Any of you guys have experience filling from a well? Greenwood area if that matters.

I believe that feller that wears bedazzled jeans ( Duct Tape ) has some experience with that.

Call WP Law and ask them what you need. People flood hundreds of acres via wells every year.

Call me if you want to talk about it. I have done it in Greenwood.

Water table vary so consult a local well driller. A two inch discharge is probably $6000 to dig. You need power. Around 90 gallons/min. Raise pond slowly. Dont overflood. It may sour if too early. Elect bill will vary depending on soil type. Clay holds water sand does not.

Hang bedazzled pants in the widow to keep varmints out.

PS. Game wardens have cameras. Wear face masks when baiting. LOL
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Any possibility of locating a natural spring in the area?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Any possibility of locating a natural spring in the area?
    Don’t think it’s possible in this area. Jenks thanks for the info today. DT thanks also. Plan to get in touch with local well driller.

I am not sure what you plan to grow in just one acre that would make this venture worth it. If corn, get a high fence.

Who said anything about growing duck food?

To the OP, I've seen it done in ponds that were specifically dug for dog training and to keep said pond at a certain level. I've also seen it done in fish ponds that were used for crop irrigation. They use the well to replenish what was taken out to the center pivot if rain doesn't suffice.
    Last edited by Quack07; 10-25-2022 at 06:46 AM.

there's on old stop on Budweiser's ski tour around here that stays level with a well.. I'd like to grab knee board and get on it for old times sakes, hate to see it turn to slab homes that fall apart in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    there's on old stop on Budweiser's ski tour around here that stays level with a well.. I'd like to grab knee board and get on it for old times sakes, hate to see it turn to slab homes that fall apart in two years.
    The Graves place? I was at Carolina with Ben, and went to a big event there once.

Yep, he was a couple years above me in high school, some buddies I played watersports with worked in the shop/store there. that was a big deal back then, they've had the property for sale for a while. it's been back and forth between one of those shitty builders, I think Great Southern, can't remember who. It was a battle to get water, septic services out there for them. Heck there are still probably mastercrafts sitting under the sheds down there. It was a cool place.

Call Rodgers Well Drilling in Greenwood. Jeff is good people.

Footnote….Jeff held the world record for slalom skiing at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler_Dave View Post
    Call Rodgers Well Drilling in Greenwood. Jeff is good people.

Footnote….Jeff held the world record for slalom skiing at one time.
    I second this. He skiied on the Clemson Team with my parents, and has a badass ski lake of his own now to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I am not sure what you plan to grow in just one acre that would make this venture worth it. If corn, get a high fence.
    DT, not a duck impoundment just a good fish pond I hope.
    Rodgers in Greenwood is who I have been planning to call. Just a little worried-pretty close neighbor to the land said his 250’+ well went dry. Luckily for him City water came in about the same time.

OK. You may want to talk to DNR and ask if an aerator and fertilization are recommended.

Well water has little to no oxygen. Look into some type of aeration to help out.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-27-2022 at 07:45 AM.

If the pond biologist suggests it might need to be limed, it'll be a lot easier to lime it before you flood it. I don't think there's a lot of risk in over-liming so you might want to do it anyway. I limed one of my four ponds and it is the healthiest. Two of the others are doing fine without the lime but one is sketchy and doesn't seem to be a prolific fish producer.

If you look at Google maps and see nearby mining pits that look Caribbean-aqua colored, you will probably be needing lime.

Thanks everyone for the info. Trying to decide to go this route or not, bought a dozer recently and already cleared most of the area. Oldest son is planning to build close by and wants to give it a shot. We will see how it turns out.

Just had a well installed and using it for the same purpose. Gainy fella out of Society Hill did mine cheap! Hell of a lot cheaper than $6k. They were super easy to work with as well.