Thread: HHA vs BlackGold

Default HHA vs BlackGold

Thinking about buying a new bow this year. I've been using HHA for years and have no issues with HHA whatsoever. However, lately I have been looking at Black Gold. Have any of you had both? Which did you like the best? Why?

HHA. Zero question. Get a tetra in a .10 pin. Best bow sights on the market IMO.

HHA uses gears for the sliding mechanism. Black gold uses friction. Not saying a MBG won’t work, but after handling several from both the HHa is better made

On top of that I’ve never ever seen a HHA fail. I had 1 small issue and their customer service nocked it out of the park. You call and talk to a sweet old lady in Wisconsin.

Also, black gold just got bought out by an equity firm from Canada. I’d watch out because their quality will surely nosedive.

I agree with wiz. HHA is the better sight company overall. I do like Black Golds fibers but that’s about it.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 10-23-2022 at 08:15 PM.

I really like my black gold accent whitetail with the 2” housing and .29 single pin
    Last edited by JBK; 10-24-2022 at 03:41 PM. Reason: I’m a dummy
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I've been shooting a Black Gold Ascent Verdict for several years, my only complaint is the slider isn't as smooth as an HHA. Black gold pins are excellent in low light.

However, if I had to buy a new sight today I'd lean towards the HHA.

Waiting on my Tetra to be delivered now.

The old giant single pin impact on an HHA frame would be the absolute ticket for South Carolina whitetails.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I've been shooting a Black Gold Ascent Verdict for several years, my only complaint is the slider isn't as smooth as an HHA. Black gold pins are excellent in low light.

However, if I had to buy a new sight today I'd lean towards the HHA.
    HHA frame with an ultraview XL scope head is what’s on my bow now. It’s the best setup I’ve found if you hunt a lot of ground blinds (I do) and need a little light. Doubt I’d spend the money if I didn’t hunt camo tents all the time, but the UV illumination system is awesome and doesn’t rattle.

Before calling, will HHA sell a new ring with 3 pins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other thing I consider is the weight of the sight. My old HHA was heavy. So was my Sword. The newer model HHA sights might be better I really don’t know. To me the extra weight at the top of the bow is something I don’t like.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I have had my HHA king pin for almost 8 years now. The only thing I would trade it for is a brand new tetra.

Since most of the world is worried with shooting their creedmore’s down powerlines for the next 2 months I assume now is as good a time as any to add to this list. 8ish months ago I back ordered an Axcel Landslyde, they were out of stock everywhere so I cashed up at Lancaster and figured I’d get it when I got it. Fast forward to last week and the sight I forgot I ordered showed up. After playing with it for a bit I’ll put it in the same top tier as stuff from HHA. The slider uses a gear, all bolts are stainless, axis adjustments are easy and make sense. But what I really like is you can change from a .10 to a .19 to a .29 pin by simply screwing out the holder. I ordered a .10 and .19 and can swap them back and forth with no change of POI. You do have to spend $50 to get the sight ring for each size, but is a slick system that I wish more companies did. They also include metal sight tapes, which are very nice if you’ve had a sticker tape peel off. I’ve been a HHA fanboy for over a decade, but as of now I’ll put this axcel right beside it.