Thread: Bad start to deer hunt Friday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bad start to deer hunt Friday

Was pulling into road to open gate at Son in Law’s land to hunt yesterday before work

Just as I stopped to pull foward I hear and big boom and at same time a big jolt to my truck.

Guy was going down road and did not see my trailer and hit rear end of sxs trailer and swerved over and hit another truck that had just pulled out of his driveway almost head on. Thankfully that driver apparently swerved toward the ditch and avoided a direct head on collision

Debris scattered down dark road for 200’ and cars still flying down damn road before FD (Center Rock ) got there to block rd

Guy was very apologetic , at first I thought he had destroyed by SXS but it was parts from both vehicles Polaris bed tailgate was loose but apparently all is well with SXS. Can not get SXS off trailer at present time due to tubing bent around rear of it (gonna work on that when I get off work today ) but other than that I think SXS is fine

Main thing is no serious injuries, one guy transported to Anmed due to soreness and very elevated BP

Could have been LOT worse. Good Lord Above was just looking out for everyone and THANKS to Center Rock VFD, guys were on scene very quickly and got road blocked to keep someone else from getting hit

I do think having SXS strapped down kept it from leaving trailer

However kind of “odd” or “ironic” thing about this, day before I hunted before work and the tailgate for trailer came loose. Has 3 pins that you have to line up and is impossible for one person to put back on. I just left it off and strapped SXS down extra good on front. Makes me wonder had that tailgate been on (fairly large and heavy ) would it have been initial contact worse.

All that wood you see in bed was in the road from trailer, deer buggy flew 100’ down road as well.

Needless to say when SCHP was done with me I went and got in deer stand rest of am

AECA6A11-4EA4-4855-8392-51AEDA5CF131.jpg8C00C59C-6E07-4F82-87FC-08078AA3697A.jpgE81B6DE4-2AB9-4745-8EC5-533908886A93.jpg
    Last edited by tprice; 10-22-2022 at 06:43 AM.

Damn. Glad no one was hurt.

Dang, glad everyone was safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, did ya see any deer?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Sure glad everyone is ok. Kill anything while on the sit?
    Last edited by SwampDecoy; 10-22-2022 at 03:52 PM.

Glad everyone is OK and there’s no serious damage to anything.

It may (or may not) help to add some lit and/or reflective amber lights to the rear sides. You may already have them on the front of the wheel wells for oncoming traffic.

Any hunting luck?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Glad everyone is OK and there’s no serious damage to anything.

It may (or may not) help to add some lit and/or reflective amber lights to the rear sides. You may already have them on the front of the wheel wells for oncoming traffic.

Any hunting luck?
    Thanks but it does have side lights on tail lights. Guy saw it but apparently too late

Very luck nobody seriously hurt

No luck in deer stand but did see a few does and 1 buck
    Last edited by tprice; 10-22-2022 at 08:28 PM.

If you get another trailer with the multiple pins that need to be perfectly lined up simultaneously to re-attach the ramp/gate, saw off about 1/2" of the hinge pegs on the back two. Then you can get the first one started, then line up the other ones. You'll be able to put it back on by yourself.

Glad everyone is OK.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If you get another trailer with the multiple pins that need to be perfectly lined up simultaneously to re-attach the ramp/gate, saw off about 1/2" of the hinge pegs on the back two. Then you can get the first one started, then line up the other ones. You'll be able to put it back on by yourself.

Solid pro tip. Last trailer I built with a gate, I did the same thing from learning that same thing on a bigger trailer. I did two pins because it’s only 4 ft wide, made on 1/2 the length of the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

Glad everyone is OK.

Thanks

Very good idea. Have had it come off couple times but always had somebody around and naturally very simple. Looked like monkey F’in football trying to do it by myself LOL. Finally I gave in and admitted tailgate WON