Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

Default Help

I have never been fly fishing in my life, other than a time or two with poppers for bream. Next week I am going to Blue Ridge Ga. The place I am going advertises fly fishing in The Cherokee National Forrest near there. I have a cheap fly rod but don't have a clue what to use for trout there. I am taking a spinning rod for back up, but really want to catch trout on a flyrod. What do I need to use? No corn, if I can't catch them on artificials, I'll buy them in the grocery store.

Help a brother out.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

well first off u must do the haiwian trout dance...this involves tucking your weiner between your legs and jumping around in circles...after that, its all a piece of cake

go to the local fly shop and ask them what is working. buy a few flies from them.

make sure your flyrod is ready. get some fresh tippet material. you dont need a $2000 fancy ass flyrod to catch fish. know that.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

what toof said.

If all else fails, and you demand catching them by artificial means....

Go to your local walmart.
    Get the smallest bream hooks they have in stock.
    Stroll over to the old lady sewing/craft section.
    Get a pack of yellow(corn colored)beads.
    Glue them to your hooks.

works like a champ. and its not illegal.

I am to coldwater trout fishin what toof is to trollin weed lines in the bluewater. know dat.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

While I'm no toofer on the coldwater, I've caught lots of trout on an olive wooly bugger with a gold bead head from the Davidson to the N. Platte. You can fish it under a strike indicator. Get it up stream and let it drift down. Cover as many runs as you can. You'll catch a fish or twelve in most places. Unfortunately, real flyfishing can be real boring flyfishing.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Try some of the smallest spinners you can get ahold of as well.Dry flies could be tough until you're there as it's best to "match the hatch".Try some muddler minnow patterns.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

There are a lot of variables to your question. What river are you going to, what time of day are you fishing, how well can you cast, etc? Your fly box this time of year should have elk hair caddis, mayflies, adams, pheasant tails, brassies, hare's ear nymphs, sulfurs, ants, beetles, and some wooly boogers. Fish the nymphs until you see fish striking on the surface, and also try casting ants and beetles under overhanging trees. Get split shot sinkers. Your leaders should be between 5x to 7x. I'd recommend getting a guide or visiting a local fly shop. Good luck.

I second the elk hair caddis (dry) in #12 and #14.

Also the pheasant tail and hares ear nymphs... weighted/bead head and unweighted. #10-#14 probably.

Fun stuff. Get some dry fly floatant. That and a leader straightener are two of my favorite accessories.

Otherwise, follow the advice of the locals.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Thanks everybody,

This is certainly going to be a learning experiance. I have been practicing in the front yard and having a blast. Might not catch anything, but don't give a damn. Five days in the mountains, with no phone, younguns, or job can't be beat, fish or no fish. This is sort of a second honey moon for me and the wife, so any fishing I get to do is going to be a bonus anyway.
    The friend that recommended the place we are staying said there is a tackle shop nearby so it sounds like that's the first stop I need to make.

Looks to me like this flyrod and a crickette would be death on a bedding bream next spring.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Flockbuster

In the summer I do better in deep holes. The water is colder and the fish seem to bunch up together. Fish a nymph pattern with a strike indicator. I usually use a beadhead, or someother attractent fly (#14-#16) on top with a small midge pattern (#18-#22) tailing off the back. Use just enough split shot to snag the bottom every 9-10 cast or so. I don't use dryflies unless a hatch is coming off and the fish are rising. You will know it when you see it. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    In the summer I do better in deep holes. The water is colder and the fish seem to bunch up together. Fish a nymph pattern with a strike indicator. I usually use a beadhead, or someother attractent fly (#14-#16) on top with a small midge pattern (#18-#22) tailing off the back. Use just enough split shot to snag the bottom every 9-10 cast or so. I don't use dryflies unless a hatch is coming off and the fish are rising. You will know it when you see it. Good Luck.

ding ding ding

Head on down to your local Orvis store and drop as much money as you can on the best equipment they have. Look for the "Guaranteed to Catch Fish" clause in the waranty on the rod and reel. 2th and the boys just don't know what they are talking about when it comes to catching trout on the fly. You HAVE to spend AT LEAST $4 K in gear just to get near a trout. If that doesn't work, you can't blame it on faulty equipment or operator error becaus it is guaranteed to catch fish! Also do that funky dance that was mentioned a few posts back and I do not see why you wouldn't be slaying trout! Thank me later...
    At least I'm housebroken.

he left this mornin, i gave hime specific instructions on how to do the dznce....its a no lose situation...

Thanks for all the advice and helpful hints. It didn't take long to find out that there is a hell of a diffrence between casting on a nice even front lawn and waist deep in a roaring stream with my feet sliding from under me. The flys you all suggested probably would have worked if they had spent more time in the water and less time wrapped around my head, waist and rod. The entire experiance reminded me of my very first turkey hunt. Despite all the reading and practicing at the house, I did everything I could to screw it up.

Had fun anyway, but had to eat steak and shrimp instead of fresh trout.

I've never met a fly fishin chiropractor... fly fishermen don't do anything easy.

The lack of water will force a challenge. Promise. It can be done, though. We caught a few on the Green below the bridge below the Duke Pwr parking lot a couple days ago.

Hey I heard Foothills went OOB. ANy truth to this?
    At least I'm housebroken.

Foothills folded up shop. Couldn't come to an agreement with the property owner. Now that they have moved on the building has a new roof and paint and a lease sign out front. Bill and Chuck are good people, hope they are doing OK.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

Next time take a cricket tube full of crickets and an ultalite.

It's not poetic but you'll eat trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Next time take a cricket tube full of crickets and an ultalite.

It's not poetic but you'll eat trout.

True Dat.................only other thing you need is one of those funny looking long billed kahki caps w/ the flueger logo on it.............notice I called it a cap not a hat because fly fisherman call the caps...........lol............

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/