Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Climbing Sticks

Default Climbing Sticks

Looking for a four stick, light weight set up with double steps. What you got?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Happy with the Novix double-step. They get your foot away from the tree farther than the lone wolf set I replaced, and I’ll never buy a single step stick again. For Crooked trees in Kansas, ohio, etc I think a double is a far better option. They have a versa button so setup up is quick and quiet.

I’m sure there are plenty others, but I haven’t found anything the Novix doesn’t do well. I carry 2 sets of Novix sticks and 2 lock ons when I head west. That way I can leave one set in a hot area if the wind is going to shift around while I’m there and I need to bounce around. It’s worked well.

I've been using the Lone Wolf 20" double step sticks but they've gone way up in price. 3 sticks with 20" cable step aiders gets me over 20 feet.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Great thread. What happened to all the stick ladders that had double steps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I use 3 muddy’s with 3 Eastern Woods Outdoors cable aiders. I really like them. Not super light, but love the rope cam thingy’s. If anything check out Eastern Woods. Lots of aiders and such.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    Looking for a four stick, light weight set up with double steps. What you got?
    Mobile lock on set up or for a saddle?

I’m kicking the tires pretty hard…
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    I’m kicking the tires pretty hard…
    If you're looking into saddle hunting I think you'd do well one sticking/repelling. You're in good enough shape it shouldn't be a problem for you and it's about as minimalist/light as you can get.

As far as sticks go, they have all gotten pricey. I don't have much experience with the newer ones on the market other than to tell you to stay away from all things tethturd, especially their sticks.

Easter Woods Outdoors builds the best one stick on the market should you want to go that route. For light weight, the carbon timber ninja are very nice but pricey.

I left my hunting bag in my truck the other day snd it got swiped. Went to use my climbing sticks about a week later and realized my straps were gone. I got pissed all over again. I use the hawk helium’s.

I have looked hard into the one stick method. I’m not doing it. I’d rather pack a few extra pounds. Now if I was hunting more than a few times a year I might rethink it. I worked on a better way to haul my sticks in and out. I’m pleased with my setup.

I know Lexington isn’t close. But you ware welcome to try my tree diaper and sticks anytime. Between my best bud and I we have a few different saddles and a couple different sticks.

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    I have looked hard into the one stick method. I’m not doing it. I’d rather pack a few extra pounds. Now if I was hunting more than a few times a year I might rethink it. I worked on a better way to haul my sticks in and out. I’m pleased with my setup.

I know Lexington isn’t close. But you ware welcome to try my tree diaper and sticks anytime. Between my best bud and I we have a few different saddles and a couple different sticks.
    It certainly isn’t for everyone but for me It is so simple, easy and efficient I can’t see the need for any other way.

It certainly isn’t for everyone but for me It is so simple, easy and efficient I can’t see the need for any other way.
    I believe it. I said the same thing about this stupid saddle. Now I can’t imagine bow hunting out of anything else.

I'll allow it looks a helluva lot safer than a climber. Never know when straps or such will break. Toting that shit around a WMA is also uber laborious.

I HATE a lock on.

How's it do with rifle hunting?

How the hell do you climb up with a single step?

I'd love to be able to walk a ways into some deep dark WMA and find "the tree" to climb and wait for some toad that otherwise wouldnt get hunted...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I'll allow it looks a helluva lot safer than a climber. Never know when straps or such will break. Toting that shit around a WMA is also uber laborious.

I HATE a lock on.

I'd love to be able to walk a ways into some deep dark WMA and find "the tree" to climb and wait for some toad that otherwise wouldnt get hunted...

Awesome. You're facing the tree and can use said tree as a rest.

Stick on tree with a single aider. Tether on tree at a height and length to where it "catches" you and is tight. Sit in the saddle, foot in aider, climb up stick. Move tether up. Sit in saddle, move stick up. Climb up stick. Move tether up. Sit in saddle and repeat until you are at a height you want to hunt. Not limited in height by the number of sticks I have and I know my safety gear works because I test it every time I climb. When I get ready to come down I repel down to my stick, grab it and hook it to my saddle then ST6 it to the deck, done.

I have a lineman's rope for when I need to go up and around limbs.
    Last edited by Glenn; 10-18-2022 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

Sit on the ground with a shotgun and some slugs, don't have to worry about toting anything except the gun. Much more fun that way anyway.

Awesome. You're facing the tree and can use said tree as a rest.

Stick on tree with a single aider. Tether on tree at a height and length to where it "catches" you and is tight. Sit in the saddle, foot in aider, climb up stick. Move tether up. Sit in saddle, move stick up. Climb up stick. Move tether up. Sit in saddle and repeat until you are at a height you want to hunt. Not limited in height by the number of sticks I have and I know my safety gear works because I test it every time I climb. When I get ready to come down I repel down to my stick, grab it and hook it to my saddle then ST6 it to the deck, done.

I have a lineman's rope for when I need to go up and around limbs.
    I bought a aero precision or some shit like that. I have 35’ of oplox and a rappelling gadget. I have muddy sticks with aider. Only thing I’m missing is a platform. I feel like I’m doing it wrong cause it just isn’t that comfortable. I like the idea of it, but not sure I’m gonna put it into play yet or not. Maybe I’m missing something, but a millennium over a corn pile sure is easy.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

3 beast sticks with eastern outdoors aiders. The sticks are lightweight and stack tight , the only complaint I have is the standoffs make the sticks a little to close to the tree for my size 14 boots .