Thread: Browning Duratouch issue

Default Browning Duratouch issue

I have an xbolt that the duratouch has gotten the known problem of getting sticky. Browning will replace it but you have to break the gun down, send it back, and wait like 4-5 months. Weighing the option of just putting an aftermarket stock on it. Any suggestions?
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

I would send the Browning stock back for repairs, and then buy an aftermarket stock. Sell the Browning stock when you get it back to recoup some of your costs.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I have HEARD that the wait time is not as long as they claim, but that was what I read from my own research.

I have purchased three xbolts and one is so sticky it is like you poured honey on the stock and never wiped it off.

Browning will be getting that one back.

The other two are still in pretty good shape.

Following…
    Last edited by Drylok; 10-16-2022 at 02:13 PM.

Carolina Custom Camo in Lugoff, is one of the browning authorized shops to repair duratouch issues. I had a browning gold repaired and redipped and his shop was FULL of warranty work. Some of the lead times he was showing me was 9-12 months. I opted to just pay outright to get it fixed and was something like $200-250 and turnaround was 2 weeks. It might be worth a shot to call him instead of sending it to browning then wait and they send it to **********.
    "run and gun guide service"

Hot damn, that is my territory. Gonna check with them soon.

Thanks dox!

I just sent an A5 back to Browning. Was told 6-8 weeks on black guns, and 6-8 months on camo. Mine was black and I got it back in 4 weeks.

I bought a new, non duratouch stock for my xbolt. Seems like it was $125 or so.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Sent a Browning Gold off to Missouri for refinishing due to the same issue described above. 18 months later (not kidding) I finally got it back in as good as new condition. Other than my paying the shipping cost to MO, there were no other costs involved.

Cool stories, but therein lies why I’ve never bought a ‘Not Really Dura’ stocked long gun. You’d think that ‘Dura’ was short for ‘Durable’, but it’s far from the case.

Serious question… Are they really worth all of the hassle?
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Cool stories, but therein lies why I’ve never bought a ‘Not Really Dura’ stocked long gun. You’d think that ‘Dura’ was short for ‘Durable’, but it’s far from the case.

Serious question… Are they really worth all of the hassle?
    Short answer - No

For rifles, you'd be better off with a Tikka, Sako or Bergara.

For auto shotguns, there are plenty of others to choose from that are just as good if not better. I'm keeping mine as it has been teflon coated, has a Sure Cycle in it and is about as weather resistant and you can make a gas autoloader.

I returned a cama SX3 with Duratouch issue, they received on 6/16 and was back in my hands on 9/1. My pattern was no longer offered so they redipped gun in pattern of my choice. No issues whatsoever.
    \"The mere fair-weather hunter, who trusts entirely to the exertions of others, and does nothing more than ride or walk about under favorable circumstances, and shoot at what somebody else shows him, is a hunter in name only.\" Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    Short answer - No

For rifles, you'd be better off with a Tikka, Sako or Bergara.

For auto shotguns, there are plenty of others to choose from that are just as good if not better. I'm keeping mine as it has been teflon coated, has a Sure Cycle in it and is about as weather resistant and you can make a gas autoloader.
    We're in agreement on those choices, for sure.
    ~ George Washington

I put a McMillan on my x-bolt and love it

This is about a 3rd of the price as a McMillan. Does anybody have any input on a Boyd’s.
    65BF5999-6BB5-443B-A0C7-0A662AD6AE5E.jpg
    Last edited by dmatheny21; 10-17-2022 at 03:38 PM.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

I’ve got a Maxus with the Duratouch that I need to do something with. Bought it off here a few years ago and am thinking I may just have it dipped.

EC51BD46-B1FB-4EE9-BB97-E2F1B0F61913.jpg
    I just put one of the Boyd stocks on my 243 and it was very easy and everything fit perfectly.
    Plant it they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdfinder View Post
    EC51BD46-B1FB-4EE9-BB97-E2F1B0F61913.jpg
    I just put one of the Boyd stocks on my 243 and it was very easy and everything fit perfectly.
    That is the one i was thinking about. Did you get the pillar bedding?

0F772EE0-599C-41E6-8A4C-C7AFF4E00E06.jpg
    Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Boyd’s. Might still try to send the dura touch stock back, but you are supposed to send the whole rifle. The Boyd’s seems to fit nicely, gonna attempt to bed it myself so we will see how that goes.

That looks good!

If you buy a gun for north of $1000 that has known, recurring issues with stock quality, the best thing you can do is send it to get fixed, buy something better, then sell the browning to offset the cost. I’d they have so much quality issues with a stock, what makes you think the rest of the gun wasn’t built the same way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk