Thread: Redington Rods

Anyone know about Redington. They were recently bought by Sage, or so I have heard. They have a nice price tag and I was just wondering if anyone has used one and if they think they will hold up under commercial use. (Saltwater mostly.)

Thanks,

DD
    \"My idea of fast food is a mallard.\"- Ted Nugent

I've got one with me down here in the bahamas. I've only had it since July. I used it almost daily until Oct, now only a few times a month until the days get longer. I've been very satisfied. I'm not extreamly experienced with fly rods though so take it for what its worth.

If you want a reasonably priced fly pole that you KNOW is made in the US by a good company that stands behind their product, I'd go St. Croix all day long. The only thing I know about Redington is that a few years back, Rob Crowder down in South Florida was finishing some of their stuff. That is a sign to me that they are a brand that farms out most/if not all the manufacturing. Not sure how the Sage buyout would impact that. That's just an educated guess, though.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Thanks guys. I just want a rig that I can keep on the boat or in the truck and if conditions permit bring it out and go. And I do not want to put the $$$ into it like I would with a Sage since customers will be using it.

Sage moved the plant to Wash. so I think they may be doing everything in house now but I will follow up on that.

DD

Are you a guide or something?

Sage has always been in Washington. If Redington labels are going to be put on rods manufactured in the Sage facility, that will be a good thing. My guess is that Sage wanted to get Redington's market share on accessories. I've been out of this loop for years so who knows. You could get a low end Loomis or something. That may "impress" your customers who don't know it for more than the name printed on it. Just a thought.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Getting back into it after a few years off. Never spent alot of time with fly fishing w/ customers so this should be new.

To clafify- Sage moved the Redington Manufacturing from Fla. Where Redington was to its (Sages) home in Wash. So I think Redington will benifit from that. Best thing is Sages waranties apply so that is nice.

I am going to cast with it a little tonight so I will let you know how it is.

Thanks for the input.

If you need some "practice" flyfishing customers, lemme know.

Na, good luck with it.

Rubberhead

Gimmie a few weeks to get everything set up and I will let you know. I hope to be getting out as much as possible regardless of customers for a while to get my head back straight. I just do not know exactly what the rest of my job duties will entail so I have no idea what kind of time I will have.

That rod felt real nice for the few throws I did with it. May have to pick it up.

Reddington is economical gear......St Croix is the shizzle.

Depends on what you are fishing for I guess, and it also depends on if you like to haul em in quick or sustain a good fair fight with em.

What are you fishing for? How big is the water you are fishing.......I mean I would recomend reddington if you were fishing for titty bream with a popper, but I don't know how thier 3 wt will do on the WNC trout.

I had another thought you might consider now that I know a little bit more about what you're after. Most of the guides I've seen with fly rods available for customers have chosen something that has too fast an action for the average joe. When you put a fast action rod in joe's hands in a slight wind and say "fish, 50ft, 10 oclock".....he loses the little bit of timing he may have had on land. If he could cast it in the yard, he prolly can't now. Your customers may be more successful with something that isn't super fast. IMHO this will be more important than the brand of the rod. Just something to consider.

Rubberhead

I have a Redington Redstart that I got several years ago when I started salt water fly fishing. It's a pretty decent rod that I still use on occasion. Most often I keep it around as a loaner or backup for trips. Obviously, it is one of their lower end starter rods. My main go-to salt water rod is a Loomis GLX, which is a very fast high end rod. Even though the Redington is considerably slower, they aren't so different that it's distractiong to switch between them unless I'm having to make very long casts, like for bonefish. For local fish, spottails in particular, it's more than adequate. I've also read good reviews on their higher end titanium rods.

If you're looking for moderately priced rods, make sure you check out Temple Fork Outfitter rods. You will hear nothing but praise from folks who have them and they won't break the bank.

Thanks Palmetto Bug. Good info.
    Stripa- since I am looking for something that will work decent for a range of skill levels I am looking at a medium/fast rod.
    Blabba- I will be almost exclusivly salt water for redfish.

The rig I am thinking about buying is an 8 wt. medium/fast 9 ft. rod with a matching Redington reel. Since I have had a few rods, not fly rods, go down due to customer error I do not want to spend a bundle. I may buy it today and try it out this weekend if the wind lies down.

In your case I would be shopping around for the a moderate action rod with a good warranty. Just because one company buys another it is not a guarantee they will transfer their high end warranty to an acquired line - especially if they plan to maintain the acquired brand name.

I've broken 3 St Croix rods and had zero problems with warranty repairs. Same thing with G Loomis and Sage but those were one time incidents. TFO's warranty is supposed to be pretty good - $25 in addition to S&H. Echo rods are another value rod with a low hassle warranty. I have two of them for back up and guest purposes on the boat.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Thats the one ive got, cd series. It has done well with the bone fish down here.

Redfish around here demand so much short distance casting, I often prefer a moderate action with a heavier line than the rod man recommends. Loading up for a real short, soft presentation is much easier. Now for long blind casts, the faster the better. Sure has been a lot of wind lately. I got on some fish Sat morning before the rain started. That's been the only still air I've found since duck season ended.

Rubberhead