Thread: Hydraulic Steering Rec

Default Hydraulic Steering Rec

My cable steering has always been sticky and very hard to turn. I'm finally wanting to upgrade to hydraulic.

Recommendations for a small hydraulic kit for a 60hp side console?

Or if anyone had a used takeoff collecting dust I'd be glad to buy it from you.

Don't want to break the bank, it's just going on a camo boat.

Baystar. There's some Chinese knockoffs around nowadays but i wouldn't trust them for the price dieters

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    Baystar.
    This

Vevor is just as good as the more expensive bay star. Dometic owns baystar and seastar and all of them are manufactured in China.

I’m not paying for Baystar or Seastar on a Camo boat that gets beat up.

Thanks for the Vevor rec PT, I was kind of leaning that way. I can get the 90hp kit for like $320.

Anyone else bought the Vevor?

I’d either pay and get a good hydraulic or put a good no feedback cable system. Steering is not something you want breaking/stop working.

I think I’m finally just done with a cable system. When I got the boat the steering cable was run exposed. I can’t stand exposed cables/wires so I re-ran it concealed knowing that I was probably putting too many bends in it to operate the way it should without binding. I’ve dealt with it since then but finally think the cable is shot from being too tight.

I have the vevor system on 3 of my boats that I built or either restored and would never cut corners. It’s the same components as my sea start on my big boat and half the price. I’ve even bought a vevor cylinder for my pipe bender and it hasn’t missed a beat.
    1E7E549F-2764-4E46-B535-B393BA6CD815.jpg

Good enough for me then, bought the Vevor earlier this morning, thanks PT.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I’d either pay and get a good hydraulic or put a good no feedback cable system. Steering is not something you want breaking/stop working.
    71107B4A-1347-4825-8AD7-B313D66380BC.jpeg

Pride is a funny thing. When I read your response the other day I said to myself that I’m decently mechanically inclined so I’d just figure it out if/when it breaks. Well 24hrs later I found myself steering with my God-given tiller in the dark on the way home.
    But I still went with the Vevor over the Bayster…one day I’ll learn…maybe.

I made a little rig to bleed the cylinder easily. Get some 3/8 vinyl tubing and a barbed tee. No mess.

Sooo, you not gonna post the other pictures?

I ain't laughin atcha, I'm laughin witcha. You had a rough evening....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Sooo, you not gonna post the other pictures?

I ain't laughin atcha, I'm laughin witcha. You had an expensive evening....
    fify

I believe so far its the most money I've spent on a Monday morning. Boat steering, new bumper, bumper brackets, windshield fluid reservoir, fog lights, headlights, grille, light harnesses.

When I get him back it will be the best tasting snack sticks I have ever eaten.

you know gene's in canada so there aint nobody to come rescue you this week!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you know gene's in canada so there aint nobody to come rescue you this week!
    I’ll fill in for Gene, just shoot me a text and let me know when you’re going so I can pull my boat to work
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.