Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new stick- Opinions wanted

Okee Dokee, lets see here- I need (read "want") a good 4 piece 4 weight with a fast action or medium fast. Needed for the Spring Creek fishing that is to be had in the Pennsylvania area (Letort Spring Run, if you know where that is). Accurate casting (hence the need for a fast action)is going to be a critical factor and I really don't want to go spend $600-$700.

I have considred the Winston Ibis, the Sage VPS, and Lefty Kreh's Temple Fork rods. If anyone has some good insight for this type of rod please jump in. I am trying to get as close to Scott G 904/4 as possible without going for that kind of price. THanks for any input. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    At least I'm housebroken.

i use a shakespeare 4 wt, 4 piece i got for $50 a the sale....

i guess i'm the wrong guy to ask, you snooty, snobby fly-fisherman. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

what's wrong with fishing with corn on a spinning reel? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I like the St. Croix Legend Ultra for about $300. You don't lose much in performance to the highest priced rods. The guy who designed those rods was the best at marrying performance with low cost production. I think he's out of the industry now. I have some custom blanks he made and they have been awesome. Have fished with the Legend Ultra in 6wt, 8wt, and 10wt on reds and albies and have always been pleased. My biased 2c. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

All mine are Sage. They make several different levels now and the quality in the mid to upper end rods is great.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

"Quality" in fishing rods can mean a lot of things. I've not studied fly rods in several years but the Sage blanks from the mid to late 90s were heavy, had uneven wall thickness and were not very straight. This is poor quality in my book. Since they were a bit overbuilt, they gained a reputation as being durable. Throw in the insurance policy of a lifetime warranty, huge marketing costs by hiring Lefty and Flip as your point men, a nice finishing job, and you've got a high priced average rod. Most people want a fast-pretty rod that the pros use and are willing to pay ridiculous prices for them. Yes, Sushi, I'm jealous I can't afford an arsenal of Sage rods!
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Sage or G Loomis.(on the rare days I fly fish.)

I'm with Toofer, me and the girls are going to drown corn in the Chattahoochee this Friday and Saturday. We will be outfitted with Zebco 33's and a Barbie combo for the little baby.

They are biting!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Hey man, I'd go with the Sage anyday. I want to say it was the VPS, but I'm not sure, anyhow, I was over at Foothills Fly Shop in Greenville just a month or so ago and casted the Lamiglass Appalachian Trail Series, the Winston Ibis, and the Sage VPS (I think), and of the three, the Sage was HANDS DOWN the best rod. I think they had it going for $295 or just over $300 maybe. Anyway, it was hard to walk away from. Just my opinion though.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus. <br />-Paul of Tarsus<br />Anyone can be a fisherman in May. <br />-Ernest Hemingway

I saw those same rods at Foothills the other day. They recommended the sage with an Okuma reel and said to put the money in the line and not the reel. The Sage will throw a 4,5, or a 6 wt. line. Chuck said that it was the ticket as far as he was concerned. You could get the whole deal for under $400.

Yeah, I've got a 5/6 wt. Okuma reel just like the one they were probably showing you. It is a solid reel, but like he said, you don't need much. Heck, I spent a summer in Yellowstone catching 25"+ cutthroat and never "had" to use the reel's drag system (though I may have done it for fun a time or two). The Sage seems solid and the Okuma is a nice reel.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus. <br />-Paul of Tarsus<br />Anyone can be a fisherman in May. <br />-Ernest Hemingway

Cant go wrong with the Sage VPS, but I am a two piece man myself. A VPS with a Ross G2 reel will do the trick all day long.

The good thing about the Winston Ibis is you are still getting most of the feel of a Winston from their lower priced line. Keep in mind I said MOST of the feel.

The only reason I actually fish with Winstons in the first place is because I could get a good deal on them at the shop. If not going with Winston, I would definitely go with St. Croix.
    Don't believe everything you think.

My rule of thumb for buying a flyrod (or most other hunting/fishing stuff that I want): "If it cost more than you can afford, its probably the one you should buy".

Fuckin A', Fishwhistle! Lemme hold a dolla!

Listen up, slick. I have at least 9 rods, give or take 2. Loomis, Lamiglass, Orvis, Cortland, which was my first non hand me down, etc.

Lefty's rods are the best value. You should cast one. They have the feel and performance of a $600 dollar rod for a fraction of the price.

Also, Lamiglass rods are great. I have the saltwater version of the 8wt and it is by far my favorite rod.

Let us know what you think after you cast one.
    18\' Hewes Redfisher

Since I haven't been in the market for a while, I looked up Temple Fork's (Lefty's) site. First big question you should have...."Where are they made?!" I'll bet overseas which would automatically disqualify them in my book. Temple Fork doesn't look like a manufacturer since they carry a lot of random trinkets. If they could verify that a reputable tube roller like Loomis (now owned by Shimano), Lamiglas etc was producing their blanks, I might consider it. To say it's stronger because they've got Titanium and Chromium in the blank but then say they are of IM6 generation carbon is a ludicrous marketing gimmick. Shows me they are shooting for the suckers in the flyfishing market. My guess is that the dealers are selling lots of them because the Lefty association must mean they are good and the market has been looking for a cheaper rod that it isn't ashamed of....kinda like the fat girls and mopeds deal.

Rubberhead

Thanks to all for the opinions. In the end I reckon it boils down to the fact that I do not live near a flyshop that carries a decent selection and variety of rods. [img]graemlins/bawling.gif[/img]

Stripa- Interesting opinion on the Temple Fork rods. I am partial to buying the best rod I can possibly afford, and the TFO rods fell into a price range and I suppose the fact that Lefty Kreh is endorsing them makes them more considerable. I don't want to bash Lefty, but I think someone is writing him a large check for his name on a fairly decent rod, just not a premium or best quality rod. I think these rods are manufactured by Bass Pro and are sold under a name that is unrelated, therefore no one can make the "Korean Connection". IMO the best rod is the one I can afford. I am leaning toward the Winston Ibis...

Two other options if you want the best rod for the money......Ebay or building your own. I build my own now but some people aren't up for that. I'd be glad to answer questions if you choose that path. I've got friends who have premium rods for half the price using Ebay so you might consider that avenue as well. Finally, one negative against Winston....BORON! There isn't a resin system strong enough to take advantage of boron as a fiber in a fishing rod's laminate. Another marketing gimmick that pisses me off. As you look at many of the new "value rod" offerings, you'll notice the big difference is that they've loaded their premium blank up with cheap components and painted it a different color. Happy shopping!

Rubberhead

I fished my Sage XP 5 weight up there on Spring Creek and it worked perfectly. I have a Loomis GLX 9 weight and a St. Croix rod as well but there's no comparison. Sage all the way. I've fished all over the world with it and never a problem. New Zealand to Lake Murray..it's the only rod.

Clemson: I will say this; those that fish Sage are die hard and will sway not. That says a lot when there is a following like that.

Stripa rod pimpa: You assume that this rod is made offshore so that makes it $hitty? That's pretty good way to judge things. I guess I better go throw my 1977 LandCruiser in landfill. WAIT, I just pulled a Chevy out of a red mud rut a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll keep it around. Why don't you cast one, mr rodbuilder before you start knocking it. And Lefty could probably endorse and make big bucks with any rod company. Is there any chance that he genuinely wants there to be an affordable high quality rod? Mind you, I don't own one yet, but I have cast one and they feel like quality rods. [img]graemlins/piss1.gif[/img]
    18\' Hewes Redfisher

Glad you like the smilies ffn. Try this one!

[img]graemlins/piss1.gif[/img] Flyfishnut [img]graemlins/piss2.gif[/img]

Kinda cool huh? [img]graemlins/fu2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.