Thread: What do I need Lithium v. Lead Acid?

Default What do I need Lithium v. Lead Acid?

Need help putting together batteries for a new work application. Hoping someone on here is less confused than me about lithium batteries.

The application would be running a 12 V electric drive reel, drawing 80 amps at full load (960 watts). We would be running it on and off throughout the day, likely 20 minutes on, 15-20 minutes off 20 on etc. for a total of 5-6 hours/day of actual runtime. Most of that runtime would be under load, but not necessarily peak load.

I know lithium is the best option as I don't want to lose power throughout the day and will also need to charge quickly overnight to use back to back days, however I am somewhat limited by procurement.

Question is, will one 12 V 120 Ah battery be sufficient for the task? I know with a lead-acid battery that would only get me 1.5 hours or so of actual run time, but I've been told that with lithium I will get 4 times that. If not one, what do I need to cover 5-6 hours of run time?

I can tell you from the from a drag racing point of view, a lot of cars and car trailers lost due to fires from the Lithium batteries...I know it's a different application from what you're doing,,just thought I'd put it out there...

You will need 6 hours x 80 amps = 480 Ah worth of batteries at a minimum - Basically 5 or so Series 29 lead-acid, deep cycle batteries. Or, at least two of these - https://dakotalithium.com/product/da...cycle-battery/ - at a cool $2,400 each...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I cant wait to hear about what these things are powering...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    You will need 6 hours x 80 amps = 480 Ah worth of batteries at a minimum - Basically 5 or so Series 29 lead-acid, deep cycle batteries. Or, at least two of these - https://dakotalithium.com/product/da...cycle-battery/ - at a cool $2,400 each...
    That's the way I interpreted it as well...I reckon the main difference during actual use is that the lithium's run at near full power until discharged unlike the lead acids which will see gradual reduced power. The positives of the lithium in addition to performance are 1/3 the weight, and 4 times faster recharge as far as I can tell...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I cant wait to hear about what these things are powering...
    Work...having to switch to longlining from a center console. Our big boat spent a couple hours in close contact with a concrete wall during hurricane Ian.

longlining from a CC? lol. That's going to be a hoot.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yep, I have a feeling the next few months are going to test me a bit more than usual...

Can you charge from the outboards? A Yahama 150 has a 50 amp generator. If you can use the output of the outboard's generators to run the reel too and reduce the amount of batteries you need...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Sounds like a perfect application for a power pole charge.

I wouldn't size any battery for any process requiring any real reliability at less than 80% depth of charge (lithium) or 50% depth of charge (lead acid).

What I mean is this: There are different answers to the same question depending on the battery technology that you select.

But, who am I? Just listen to these guys, I'm sure you'll be fine.

**Shoot me a PM if you have specific question. I'll have to argue with a band of idiots posting here.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

fun sucker^
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    That's the way I interpreted it as well...I reckon the main difference during actual use is that the lithium's run at near full power until discharged unlike the lead acids which will see gradual reduced power. The positives of the lithium in addition to performance are 1/3 the weight, and 4 times faster recharge as far as I can tell...

Work...having to switch to longlining from a center console. Our big boat spent a couple hours in close contact with a concrete wall during hurricane Ian.
    Should have had some buoys over the side. Rookie mistake. I’ve seen it before with these fly-by-night, make shit up as you go organizations….live and learn, I guess.

AGMs, isolators and keep the engines running. Outboard manufactures have not approved charging of Lithium from the alternators yet as the charging specifics are much different.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Can you run it off of a generator and an inverter?