Thread: Flycasting for Carp

I read an article in field and stream today about catching carp on a fly.
    these guys in manning are doing it.
    it said to use a heavy fly to sink to the bottom.
    in early morning or late afternoon when the carp are tailing, throw your fly in front of them and they will suck it up.
    especially when the mayflies are out, and man they are thick right now!

according to this article, carp are the hardest fighting fresh water fish. it said to have at least a hundred yards of backing, you will use most of it. WOW!!
    sounds like the equivelent of a big bull spottail, but about 15lbs heavier.

Anyboby ever tried this?

BOGHOLE
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I used to do it every year at Lake Greenwood when the carp were rutting. I posted about it on here and got laughed at by the rubbaheads! [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]

I used corn instead of a fly. I'd load up a #1 hook with corn. Since I couldn't cast the corn without losing it I'd and wade out and flip it about ten feet out from the bank then feed line till I got backed up a ways. The bulls will run in and chase the females in the mud and grass, then move back out, that's when they'd pick up the corn.

Once you hang a bull carp on a flyrod you best be prepared for a fight!!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I wait for the mulberry hatch in DC every year on the C&O canal. Purple chennille overwrapped on 2X long shank nymph hook works like a charm. All you do is find a tree that's dropping and lay it on the water under the branches. You'll definitely see the backing.

I've also caught them on the Shenandoah and the Rappahanock using a cranefly nymph while smallmouth fishing.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"