Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPhone Backup Issues

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Here's what I've been trying to figure out on the storage. That is, I haven't been able to figure out what all of this "Documents and Data" includes, since I've downloaded most of the .pdf and scan items to my laptop. The original pictures are already stored on iCloud, so it's only small versions on the phone for me to draw on if I want something, and, as mentioned above, they have already been downloaded to my external 1T HDD as backup.

I just need to figure out how to dig through this D&D data...
    Its you cached files, cookies, and all the stuff that the phone uses in the background. Its stores thigns over time and eventually fills up. There is no way to delete from the D&D, other than wiping the phone, which is also an option for you once you can get a backup made.

Is your itunes version on your laptop up to date?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Its you cached files, cookies, and all the stuff that the phone uses in the background. Its stores thigns over time and eventually fills up. There is no way to delete from the D&D, other than wiping the phone, which is also an option for you once you can get a backup made.

Is your itunes version on your laptop up to date?
    Yes, iTunes is up to date as of yesterday.

I didn't think about temp files, etc, but that makes a lot of sense. It's all the tabs I've got open on the browsers that I haven't cleaned up, etc.

If I recall correctly, just closing the tabs themselves won't clear things... I have to do a reset using the Home and On/Off button. That will wipe the history files, et al, but not my settings... correct?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Yes, iTunes is up to date as of yesterday.

I didn't think about temp files, etc, but that makes a lot of sense. It's all the tabs I've got open on the browsers that I haven't cleaned up, etc.

If I recall correctly, just closing the tabs themselves won't clear things... I have to do a reset using the Home and On/Off button. That will wipe the history files, et al, but not my settings... correct?
    If I am not mistaken a hard reset with home & on/off button wont clear that folder, only a reset, Settings> General> Reset will
    Last edited by quack head 11; 10-12-2022 at 04:02 PM.

You need to make an appointment at the Apple Store in Greenville. Back up your phone and head that way. They will have you fixed in no time. That ensures you aren't depending on the SCDucks "Braintrust"...

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    If I am not mistaken a hard reset with home & on/off button wont clear that folder, only a reset, Settings> General> Reset will
    You may well be right, but doing that will also delete all of my settings, app layout, and home page, etc... right? Just so I know what I'm in for.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    You need to make an appointment at the Apple Store in Greenville. Back up your phone and head that way. They will have you fixed in no time. That ensures you aren't depending on the SCDucks "Braintrust"...
    Great point, but therein lies the issue since it won't let me back it up even when connected directly to the laptop and using iTunes... be it to the laptop or iCloud. That's what doesn't make sense to me.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Tell you what I am fixing to do with a 5 year old I6s at this stage in my life. Take my sim card out and get me a 14 https://www.consumercellular.com/
    Thank me later
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You may well be right, but doing that will also delete all of my settings, app layout, and home page, etc... right? Just so I know what I'm in for.
    Correct. Which is why I mentioend manually deleting enough space to get a backup to run. Then you can wipe the phone and restore from said backup.

1. Manually delete apps, photos, and videos until you have enough space to make a backup, either to the cloud or via itunes. (remember to clean out the recently deleted album before trying to make the backup)
    2. Factory reset phone
    3. When phone is finished with reset and you start to set it up, it will ask if you want to restore from backup, choose the latest backup
    4. Lets the backup load, the D&D folder will be smaller
    5. Restore any apps you had to remove to get the backup to run.