Thread: Trout Fishing The Saluda River

Has anyone here ever fished the Saluda for Trout?
    What is the best time of the year to fish that river?
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

fish it year round. they just stocked heavily in the last month. should be about right.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yea, should be just right. That is if a 3 inch fingerling can grow like hell in 3 weeks!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

they dropped a big net of 8 inch fish from the walhalla hatchery...focker.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Any place to park and wade or do you have to use a canoe?
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

8 inches eh? So now we can fish for "biggie size sardines!

You can put a boat in off Corley mill road or walk in from there. There are other spots but I ain't tellin ALL I know.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Just watch Flyfishing on ESPN and leave the seed stock alone.

8"........ [img]graemlins/smokin2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/spinning.gif[/img]

They stock a range of sizes of hatchery fish. I have fished it several times. It is not really flyfishable in many spots....it is deep and very fast moving. The fish we have caught were on panther martins & rooster tails around the big breaks. As far as fishing it, leave the waders at home it is way to dangerous to wade and if you are in a canoe it better be very stable, if they are pulling water forget it. You need a jon boat with a 25 hp motor and a powerful trolling motor!

good luck with it!
    Did you see that?

Go in late spring on a nice sunny day when they're not releasing much water... Wade out into the middle of the river (downstream of hopes ferry would be one choice, but there are others) and fish with canned corn in the shallow sections (say 2-5 feet) in swift but not too swift water around/near the rocks. If you want to get away from some of the crowd that habituate the landings, get in a canoe and find a good spot downstream. Don't recommend a boat on those low water days unless you like hitting rocks and patching holes. You can catch a stringer in about 3 hours on a good day.

I Fish the upper Saluda every now and then because it's close to home. Usually in the late Spring it will produce with Prince Nymphs or assorted other dark colored dries. It's a good place to go when other streams get too hot in the summer.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

In a couple of months, those fingerlings will be striper snacks.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Yep! They used to dump'em into Lake Russell from the Hwy 72 bridge by the thousands. Truck came down from a Tennessee hatchery. They may still do this, not sure. But you can catch them as fast as you can cast in the backs of necks and off the islands using a Panther Martin or even a real small Rebel diving plug. I think the trout try and eat the treble hooks. But you have to watch the length limit real close and it's hard to catch any legal trout. But it's fun!

I've heard they dump them in for striper food.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."