Thread: Ouch

Default Ouch

Bow hunter impaled by another hunter's lost arrow, rescued by helicopter
    colorado
    BY LOGAN SMITH

OCTOBER 9, 2022

A lone archery hunter's life was likely saved by his rescue beacon after he was badly injured by an arrow in a remote section of wilderness last week.

The hunter was impaled above the knee while hiking off trail, according to a member of Routt County Search and Rescue (RCSAR).

The arrow, referred to as a "lost" arrow, was left behind by another hunter after an errant shot, RCSAR Vice President Harry Sandler told CBS4. No one knows how long the lost arrow had been there, but it's the second year in a row that a Routt County bow hunter has been injured encountering one, Sandler said.

In last week's incident, the injured hunter sent an SOS on his rescue beacon and then shut off the device due to low battery power. An RCSAR team rode four miles to the Elk Park Trailhead north of Steamboat Springs, hiked 2.5 miles to reach the South Fork of Mad Creek, then bushwacked upstream and through dense timber and knee-deep swamps another 1.5 miles to reach the hunter's last known coordinates.

Fortunately for them, he had not moved and was easily found.

Due to the difficulty of the terrain, the team determined carrying the hunter out on a litter was extremely difficult. A helicopter was requested and landed nearby.

After transporting the hunter to UCHealth's Yampa Valley Medical Center in Steamboat Springs, the aircraft returned to the scene and lifted the rescue team out of the area and back to their ATVs, Sandler stated.

Another archery hunter was injured last year near South Franz Creek and Mount Candy, Sandler said. North Routt Fire Protection District were able to reach that hunter by all-terrain vehicles. The injury was also an impalement above the knee. But unlike the recent injury, last year's hunter left the arrow in his leg. Medics padded the shaft of the arrow and brought him out to an ambulance.

"With penetrating injuries it is never recommended to remove the object in the field," Sandler stated, "it is best to let surgeons at the hospital perform this task. Leaving the object in reduces the chances of severe bleeding and additional tissue damage."

Sandler suggested anyone - not just hunters - who are travelling off-trail in the backcountry during hunting season to supplement their first aid kits with a tourniquet and hemostatic gauze.

"In both instances, the hunters were walking off-trail in tall, dense brush which made seeing their feet challenging," Sandler stated. "This obviously makes spotting a lost arrow quite difficult especially if it is camouflaged or hidden from view."

"Hunters should also always carry the 10 Essentials and be prepared for rapidly changing weather as is common this time of year in the rockies," Sandler continued. Regarding last week's hunter, "having a PLB or satellite messenger likely saved this hunter's life as he was alone, immobile and in an extremely remote area with no cell service."

Sandler also relayed important advice for hunters.

"While we know that it is not always feasible, bow hunters should make every effort possible to find a lost arrow."

Reflective strips and brightly colored vanes help archery hunters recover errant arrows. Attached lights are also helpful, and even metal detectors can be used. More information on recovery techniques here.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/new...by-helicopter/

Good thing there wasn't a pod on it.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

He walked a poke too far.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

That makes me quiver.

Removing a stray arrow form one’s own leg, isn’t too “sharp”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I bet he is going to rage when he sees that rescue bill.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Wont be long before he’s back in the saddle.

Lucky it wasn't a Simmons.

What was the FOC and how far did it penetrate?

Dude I know did the same thing to himself here in the upstate a few weeks ago....impaled himself with his own previously lost arrow.

He too had to get rescued. The pics I saw were nasty, but I think he was going to recover fine.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

I'm still trying to figure out how in the heck this could even happen!!

Hopefully someone will give us a peep into what really happened and release some more info and not string us along....

Bow hunters suffer the slings and arrows on so many fronts.

I worry about that when trailing a bow shot deer with my trail dog. If I can't account for the broadhead, I keep the dog on a lead and don't let her get to the deer before I have a chance to see if the arrow is exposed. Tracking in thick stuff on lead is a real pain in the ass but it would suck to have a dog impaled on a razor sharp broadhead.