Thread: Tohatsu 40hp 2005 2 stroke question

Default Tohatsu 40hp 2005 2 stroke question

Got this on a 1552 ambush and I can get 40 hit 42/43 a few times. Question is about the handle on the tiller and the throttle cables. The handle on my tiller is pretty hard to turn. Anyone got a decent video or some tips to grease the cables?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I'm confused... so it's the throttle hard to turn? Or is your difficulty actually turning the motor, like to steer the boat?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I'm confused... so it's the throttle hard to turn? Or is your difficulty actually turning the motor, like to steer the boat?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Throttle handle is stiff. Steering is fine. A lot of resistance when giving it gas.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 10-07-2022 at 07:02 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

"PB Blaster Chain and Cable"
    Comes with one of those long red tips.
    I'd start with a liberal amount of that down one end of the cable housing and working it in with the throttle.

If that doesnt work you may need to grease the end of the shaft barrel where the tiller handle connects to the motor. (Item 22 on the link below)

https://www.boats.net/catalog/tohats...-handle-f-type

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Got this on a 1552 ambush and I can get 40 hit 42/43 a few times. Question is about the handle on the tiller and the throttle cables. The handle on my tiller is pretty hard to turn. Anyone got a decent video or some tips to grease the cables?
    Might not be the same but I had the same issue with my Yamaha 30. Turned out to be a bunch of gunk up under the flywheel I think.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I had something similar with my yamaha 40 when it still had the original tiller and not the big tiller. I took a can of Cyclo Break-Away and sprayed just about every moving part I could find within the throttle system. That made a big difference. I also felt some stickiness around the flywheel like BB is talking about. I sprayed all of that down too and it seemed to help.

Thanks fellas. I cleaned and greased the handle, all the links in the handle and the ends of the cables. A lot better now. Will check the flywheel and do the same.

you have a "friction" knob or a lever up under it for the turning tension adjustment
    and you should have a knob or screw under the tiller arm (probably right past the throttle grip) that controls the throttle tension