Thread: Best Place to Buy Garmin Alpha or Astro

Default Best Place to Buy Garmin Alpha or Astro

I need a Garmin Alpha (or Astro if it's a good enough deal) with at least 2 collars, preferably 3.

I've been looking around, who usually has the best pricing?

Also, if any one has a used set up laying around they want to sell, message me.

I have an alpha. I like it. I will say though if using strictly for upland hunting and controlling multiple dogs the garmin pro 550 is better. Much much easier to switch between and locate dogs. The alpha is good for hound hunting. The compass integrated in the 550 remote is all that is necessary and preferred for upland. When I get a second dog I’m purchasing a 550 pro remote asap.

Unless something has changed, I’m pretty sure the prices will be the same wherever you go. Garmin is really strict about their pricing structure
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    I have an alpha. I like it. I will say though if using strictly for upland hunting and controlling multiple dogs the garmin pro 550 is better. Much much easier to switch between and locate dogs. The alpha is good for hound hunting. The compass integrated in the 550 remote is all that is necessary and preferred for upland. When I get a second dog I’m purchasing a 550 pro remote asap.

Interesting, haven't looked at these. This is strictly for upland.

I'm watching a video on it now. All I need is stimulant, beeper, GPS (arrow works), and to know if the dog is on point. It looks like it does all of that. Is the only main difference from the Alpha/Astro the aerial map display?

Collar clinic (online) sells refurbished units.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Interesting, haven't looked at these. This is strictly for upland.

I'm watching a video on it now. All I need is stimulant, beeper, GPS (arrow works), and to know if the dog is on point. It looks like it does all of that. Is the only main difference from the Alpha/Astro the aerial map display?
    Yes. No aerial map with is virtually worthless for upland. Out west if the dog runs off 5 miles it could be useful I guess. Its also useful as a handheld GPS out west if you can't find your truck or something. It is not near as easy to switch between controlling dogs with stimulation on the Alpha unit though. The alpha requires the use to constantly look at he unit and change commands. The 550 pro you can easily toggle between the dogs. The 550 pro might be limited to three dogs though. I do know know if that is a concern for you.

I bought mine from Snell's Gun Dog Supply. When I price shopped, I found very little difference in pricing. Snell's has given me good service.

Yes. No aerial map with is virtually worthless for upland. Out west if the dog runs off 5 miles it could be useful I guess. Its also useful as a handheld GPS out west if you can't find your truck or something. It is not near as easy to switch between controlling dogs with stimulation on the Alpha unit though. The alpha requires the use to constantly look at he unit and change commands. The 550 pro you can easily toggle between the dogs. The 550 pro might be limited to three dogs though. I do know know if that is a concern for you.
    Last question since I can't find an answer. I know it shows if a dog is on point or moving. Does it just show that on the screen only, or is there some type of vibration or noise that notifies you as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I bought mine from Snell's Gun Dog Supply. When I price shopped, I found very little difference in pricing. Snell's has given me good service.
    I'll probably buy through GDS. I usually buy from them or Lion Country Supply.

Last question since I can't find an answer. I know it shows if a dog is on point or moving. Does it just show that on the screen only, or is there some type of vibration or noise that notifies you as well?
    Not sure about the handheld, but if you pair it with the garmin watch you will get a vibrate alert.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Good question, I would like to know the answer to as well. I know when woodcock hunting in thick cover it was very nice to get the "on point" notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Good question, I would like to know the answer to as well. I know when woodcock hunting in thick cover it was very nice to get the "on point" notification.
    Found the answer, the remote does not have any tone or stimulation when a dog is on point ... but that just put me down the rabbit hole for the Alpha 10.

I didn’t realize the lack of tone on point. I admit I like the tone and vibrate on point feature of the alpha.

I didn’t realize the lack of tone on point. I admit I like the tone and vibrate on point feature of the alpha.
    I ended up going with the Alpha 10 since it has that function.

I'll likely go with the 550+ if it doesn't work as well as I'd like it too.

I have the Alpha 10 and pro 550. Agree with CofC's feedback, it's cumbersome to switch between dogs and to switch between stimulation (intensity or tone, continuous momentary and vibrate) on the Alpha. With the Alpha you can toggle between vibration and silent (message only) notifications. I believe it also has tone option. I'll check.

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    I have the Alpha 10 and pro 550. Agree with CofC's feedback, it's cumbersome to switch between dogs and to switch between stimulation (intensity or tone, continuous momentary and vibrate) on the Alpha. With the Alpha you can toggle between vibration and silent (message only) notifications. I believe it also has tone option. I'll check.
    I was wrong, you can get the vibration for a dog on point with the 550. I called GDS and spoke with Steve and he relayed that to me. With that said, I decided to stay with the Alpha 10 after picking his brain. I typically hunt at least 2 dogs at a time. On the 550, you can only see one dog at a time on the screen, so if the dog not indicated on the screen points, you wouldn't know unless you switch over. The Alpha 10 you can see multiple dogs at the same time.

I came to the conclusion I'll either get used to, or deal with, the correction/tone/vibration features being a little more cumbersome since 'on point' notification is more important. If it's too big of a pain, I'll send it back and replace it with the 550 after a trip out west later this month (Steve's recommendation, not mine).

they also have an alpha 10 that is fairly new, it is supposed to be a smaller more user friendly version of the alpha 100 and 200, without all of the bells and whistles and about half the cost, as far as prices go it seems like everywhere is priced the same and even the special sales prices all seem to coincide, i think i heard someone say that garmin requires there distributors to sell at a certain price or they stop supplying them, that would explain the prices being the same from the small feed stores all the way up to the box stores, i keep seeing refurbished units and collars for sale on facebook at some of the hunting supply stores but they aren't but a little less than the new