Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunter Dies In Saddle…

I don't carry and knife in my pocket, carry a little box blade. I don't like poofy pockets during day to day activities. So there
    Last edited by Highstrung; 10-03-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Carry an extra knife for the same reason you should carry an extra mag.

In the case of the knives when deer hunting, one knife is for field dressing, the other is smaller and would be quick to grab for cutting a harness if needed. I get that field dressing is a strange topic in the "shoot at corn, drive ungutted deer to the processor" capital of America.
    In the "corn, drive ungutted deer to the processor" capital of America", we don't sit on our ass all day whittling on a cedar stick. We also don't like getting all bloody before driving to the processor. That's what we pay them for.

And that's why we don't need two knives

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Worked with a fella one time who would bitch about jeans and carharts like they were the most uncomfortable, restrictive things ever. He kept a wad of keys the size of a baseball in his front pocket.

it really is sloppy looking, but they design shirts these days to be worn untucked.. I mean shit

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    it really is sloppy looking, but they design shirts these days to be worn untucked.. I mean shit
    They're supposed to be untucked, how else do you conceal your EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Worked with a fella one time who would bitch about jeans and carharts like they were the most uncomfortable, restrictive things ever. He kept a wad of keys the size of a baseball in his front pocket.
    That wasn't a dude. That was a chick.

I have two keys. Truck. House.

My wife's keyring looks like Schneider off of "One Day At A Time."

I know everywhere she goes. There aren't that many locks. 2/3 she has no idea what they go to but won't toss 'em.

find another place put it for all I care.. I will not condone looking disheveled, sloppy society be damned. I will die on that hill

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    find another place put it for all I care.. I will not condone looking disheveled, sloppy society be damned. I will die on that hill
    It's one step away from sweat pants and slippers in a walmart.

I'm happy to see fanny packs are getting rarer..

In physiology class at USCSOM, a particularly poignant statement from the prof really hit hard and has stuck with me; we were discussing circulation, and he stated that "way back when, the evil people that crucified Christ understood that crucifixion would slowly cause asphyxiation and a horrible, slow, miserable, and certain death. Defined, asphyxiation is the process of being deprived of oxygen, which can result in unconsciousness or death; suffocation. Being upright and unable to use the leg muscles in a normal manner, which facilitates venous blood return to the heart against gravity, cardiac preload drops to the point that compromises cardiac output and eventually overwhelms the body's ability to increase BP by constricting arteries and increasing HR. The body is deprived of oxygen and CO2 isn't eliminated, and death will come.

This was approximately the same time frame that one of the guys that went up to our Ohio hunting camp was an RN taking care of a guy who fell from his stand in a HSS vest/full body harness and could not get back on his platform. He had both of his legs amputated after suffering bilateral lower extremity compartment syndrome and eventually died. I had a controlled descent vest within a week after that.

So yes, if the harness cut the blood return from his legs and he passed out and did not rectify the situation by standing on a platform and relieving the pressure, he would have eventually died the same way Christ did, albeit via a different mechanism. There will be and obviously needs to be some investigation into this death, because if this was a commercially manufactured product specifically for hunting, there is no way that this should have happened no matter how obese the guy was...unless he didn't have a means to shift, stand, and relieve pressure. These things are designed to sit in and hold your weight while being comfortable enough to sit all day, and I seriously doubt that he was the first obese hunter to use a saddle and I'll go out on a limb and say he likely wasn't the heaviest either.

I've got a new saddle system in boxes in the garage that I have not gotten around to fiddling with yet, but this is sure going to encourage me to carefully read all the instructions and warnings and get it fitting properly in the yard prior to heading into a hunting situation with it. I hate it for the ol boy...awful way to go.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It's one step away from sweat pants and slippers in a walmart.
    Or wearing rainbows with jeans. I mean go be a youth pastor from 2005 elsewhere
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 10-03-2022 at 11:00 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I had a controlled descent vest within a week after that.
    Yes, sir, very wise.