Thread: 31” Draw Bow

Default 31” Draw Bow

Got a buddy wanting get started. Needs 31” draw. Need a cheap bare bow.

Bear...

Tell him to look for a used Hoyt double XL or Mathews atlas. Most bows go to 31” on the draw, but fitment on a big frame fella isn’t there. Shortest axle to axle I would be looking at is 33”.

And cheap is somewhat hard to define. He can buy a cheap diamond edge, but if he sticks with it he will be swapping in 6mo.

I worked in a pro shop for 6 years and still set up 20~ bows a year for guys from home. Big dudes just starting out are the hardest to get right. Most of the cheaper options are for smaller humans. A used flagship designed for big fellas is the most cost effective option imo

ETA: arrows are also important. Please don’t let a shop sell him .340 spine arrows. .250 spines with 50-75 grain inserts and a 100-125 head will get him right.
    Last edited by wiz18; 09-30-2022 at 01:19 PM.

31” draw here. What wiz said. The Halon 32” with the 6 or 7” inch brace height would be another I would recommend.

I shoot a VXR 31.5 @ 31” draw. It’s as short of a bow as I want with the string angle that’s acceptable. I’d really like a 33” ATA, but all I care about is shooting out of a tree at 20 yards.

Check Archery Talk for used bows.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Also I’ll add: try to find a bow with rotating mods. He might think he’s a 31” draw only to find out he’s a 30”, and will have to find another set of mods on eBay to make it right. Bowtech revoltX, pse evoke 35, prime nexus4, and several others would fit the bill. And those seem to pop up on AT somewhat regular.

I got 2 old PSAs. 1 with overdraw and 1 without. He can pick them up in Summerville for free. I can’t pull back anymore and I’m tired of looking at them.

Thanks moose, looking at one in the morning. If it doesn’t pan out I’ll holler.

And yes Glennda, it’s a bear…..

Got it

31'' draw?

LoL

Here I am with t-rex arms and a 27.5''.