Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The age-old question....

full camo to hide from a dove?

you people make life very hard sometimes.

Bean--Gbelly is gonna kill that ten point this morning....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I haven't seen facepaint mentioned yet. Sportins snowflage was pretty cool.

its windy out

Kinda chilly too, I'm kinda foggy rather groggy as well

Nah, not hard at all. Been playing the bird game for over 30 years. I would have to think really hard to recall the last shoot that everyone didn’t limit. Whatever works for you though.

Yeah, pretty sure both of us have been doing it over 30 years

I believe in camo and even wear a buff when I dove hunt, mostly to cover my white hair. It does make a difference especially later in the season as birds get wiser. I hate sitting near the guy who wears his 30 year old khaki pants and Duxbak shirt that faded to off-white 23 years ago.

Doves can spot another dove on the ground. They can definitely see a poorly hidden googan. Just because you were on a few hunts where the birds were so thick it didn't seem to matter, it will still help you get closer shots if you hide well. Try going full camo a few times and you'll realize the dove hunts mysteriously get better.

Take a look around the dove field on a sunny day and see how many bright flashes from shiny gun barrels you see. That will turn birds worse than wearing white. Birds that have been shot at are keen to notice any flash in the field. A barrel flash can be seen from a very long distance.

I may be extra sensitive to the idea of hiding from doves because my little dove field has very tall trees on the sides that doves use like stadium seats to recon before they decide to fly into the field or fly off. All it takes is one fidgety idiot to keep the birds out of the field.

Green shirt, khaki pants, and nice wood guns. It’s just feels better that way.

C2B51C9A-08FB-4EF0-A738-0394ADD12D37.jpeg

2th your field is slow so far this morning, definitely the storm.

migratory birds are typically picky, and shy. the first couple of weeks in our field they were weirdly picky, never really experienced that before during opening, Sportin and I actually talked about that. The only times I've worn a buff or something over my face was during blistery cold windy days.

2th's cool field has pokeberries on the edges. It reminds me of years back hunting baited cutovers..

Resized_Resized_20220917_091929.jpg
    Last edited by Highstrung; 09-29-2022 at 09:12 AM.

A buff soaked in water sure felt good on the hot opening day hunt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I can't get into them, but I'm fine with the stupid heat. It doesn't bother me. I do cover my face with ducks.

Khaki shorts, green shirt, and a shotgun that wasn't wood still feels pretty good..

doves.jpg
    Last edited by Ligma; 09-29-2022 at 08:59 AM.

I’m jealous
    At work waiting to get off and go try ‘em about 4 o’clock

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i agree, I reckon.
    I think birds would certainly feed ahead of a storm. If they plan to fly anywhere, they would have to. So, tomorrow afternoon might be a time to test that theory.

BUT the birds have to go somewhere, right?
    Back to the OB's (old bastard's) original post. Where do the bird's go? Maybe a lesson from the buffalo is in order.
    Disclaimer: I think this is all BS but apropos for SCDucks and the subject at hand.

https://www.coachrandyjackson.com/po...w-or-a-buffalo

INTO THE STORM'

There is an excellent lesson about success and leadership from studying how buffalo and cows respond to storms.

In Colorado, the state is divided almost exactly in half by the Rocky Mountains. The Rockies dominate the western part of the state and the eastern part are the great Kansas plains. Because of that unique topographical landscape, Colorado is one of the few places in the world where there are both buffalo and cows in such close proximity.

When storms come, they almost always brew from the west and roll out toward the plains of the east.

What cows do is very natural. Cows sense the storm coming from the west, so they start to run toward the east. The only problem with that is that you know they aren’t speedy if you know anything about cows.

And without knowing any better, the cows continue to try to outrun the storm. But instead of outrunning the storm, they actually run right along with the storm. They were maximizing the amount of pain and time, and frustration they experience from that storm! So the storm catches up with the cows rather quickly.

What buffalo do, on the other hand, is very unique for the animal kingdom. The buffalo wait for the storm to cross right over the crest of the peak of the mountaintop. As the storm rolls over the ridge, the buffalo turn and charge directly into the storm.

The buffalo, unlike the cows, minimize the amount of pain, time, and frustration they experience from that storm. Instead of running east away from the storm, they run west directly at the storm. By running at the storm, they run straight through it.

P.S. Ralph, you looking a little stressed in that last pic. You should probably pick your hunting partners more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Green shirt, khaki pants, and nice wood guns. It’s just feels better that way.

C2B51C9A-08FB-4EF0-A738-0394ADD12D37.jpeg

2th your field is slow so far this morning, definitely the storm.
    well done
    and sorry about the lack of birds.

Must be bc you're not wearing sunflower/pokeberry camo. shame on you

HS was processing the wonderful breakfast. aka the platinum package
    and all these doves leaving dove fields have to be SOMEWHERE!

Quote Originally Posted by LIGMA View Post
    Khaki shorts, green shirt, and a shotgun that wasn't wood still feels pretty good..

doves.jpg
    You wore shorts the mornin?
    A fish bites 2 times a day, right before I get to the water, and as soon as my boat gets back on the trailer.

it was good, a hollandaise wouldn't have kicked it up, or runny egg yolk on the top, accompanied by the one on the bottom..

I don't like wearing sunglasses while shooting at birds, the sun was fierce