Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The age-old question....

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    That sounds nice and all but do you even own a pair of camo crocs?
    No sir I do not. Never owned or wore a pair of crocs.

Glenn you see that pic I put up of my feet? Gangster barefoot deer cleaning..
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Bird_Killa View Post
    Very nice furniture, albeit I’m of the yellow hull type myself.
    I shoot about every gauge.. I don't really think any of them handicap me besides a .410. I'll shoot more 20s then 16s. It's mostly what I feel like that particular day. I tend to shoot more 20s in the winter, the last few times it's snowed I shot 16s. It's fine either way, I don't understand guys getting poetic about 20s. Half the guys I see shooting them need two boxes of shells anyways. That shit is silly.

FWIW, I hit the feedlots hard out here in Wyoming the first two years I was here, and the mourning doves here really highlight the effect the weather has on their migration, and they most definitely do migrate.

In the south, you may or may not see the obvious influence weather has on their migration because you are on the receiving end of it and you have a bunch of resident doves...kinda like ducks. I'm on the giving end up here; the doves are thick until the first strong cold front, and after that, they are gone. It is dramatic. We might get three to four weeks of really good mourning dove shoots where thousands are pouring into the feedlots and feeding on wild sunflower along the edges of the dirt roads, then the first strong cold front hits, and poof...they are GONE overnight and all you see after that is Eurasian Ringnecks.

When spring hits, one day you will see a couple of mourning doves, and within a week, they will be back in full force.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    FWIW, I hit the feedlots hard out here
    How about ducks? Nutz and I saw greenheads landing on cows in one on the North Platte years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    That’s awesome.

Lord willing, I hope to be able to still be shooting dove at 91 years old, with a bird boy that is hopefully my great grandson.
    I hope to be shooting at 91 with a young bird boy who is my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I shoot about every gauge.. I don't really think any of them handicap me besides a .410. I'll shoot more 20s then 16s. It's mostly what I feel like that particular day. I tend to shoot more 20s in the winter, the last few times it's snowed I shot 16s. It's fine either way, I don't understand guys getting poetic about 20s. Half the guys I see shooting them need two boxes of shells anyways. That shit is silly.
    Ive noticed a lot of guys shooting 20’s that really need to shoot a 12 based on what you just stated. A proficient shooter should be able to get a 15 bird limit inside of a box with a 20 consistently. It can become more of a challenge late season with migratory birds. It always amazes me how tough they can be.

Seems like an active thread- would love to extend an invite to DrDuck to dove hunt next Saturday. Come out of the Hole, but you can’t say BAWWWWWWWWWWWHA or post about Scar all day. Serious invite- no strings attached (other than those noted- all legal game laws apply).

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    How about ducks? Nutz and I saw greenheads landing on cows in one on the North Platte years ago...
    So did I. I have a pic somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I got a rule about what people wear to dove hunts

Who gives a fuck is the rule
    Dove hunting should be fun and full of shit talking
    oh, and kids whenever possible
    Last edited by ecu1984; 09-30-2022 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Ended up with green and gold on that trip. Haha
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

Duck hunting is great out here. I hunted a bunch the first two years I was here, but haven’t since. It was more of a duck shoot whenever I went vs a duck hunt. I had access to a small depression in a grass field that irrigation runoff would accumulate in, and despite nearly zero cover, I could go and hammer a mixed bag limit and be headed home in a hour any morning. I have a freezer full of ducks, and I lost access to that spot, and with all the other critters out here to hunt, I just stopped going after ducks.

Call me crazy, but I was far more motivated and willing to work myself silly and cheat death trying to kill a handful of ducks in SC than I am to go sit by some water out here and pile em up in short order. After experiencing really good ducks shoots and duck Tornados a few times, killing an easy limit didn’t seem as special as scratching out a couple of woodies and the rare wild green head in SC.

In the spring when the ducks are headed back north, we get a couple of months of water holes slap full of fully plumed ducks of pretty much every variety you’d expect to see in the lower 48. We get a ton of cinnamon teal hanging out then; it’s beautiful. Then they move on up and we just have a few BWT and resident mallards until it starts getting cold. When the ducks come back in October, they get thick and stay thick through mid December/early January.

If you can come do some legwork and knock on doors and get permission to hunt the fields out here, I’d consider coming here or Colorado before heading to Canada. Plenty of color on the October ducks and plenty of them.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-30-2022 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdunc View Post
    So did I. I have a pic somewhere.
    I can't see worth a damn....

I never shot ducks in the feedlots, but I'm sure they hit them when they are done cleaning out the fields.

Well, Ian didn't blow my little dove field flat. In fact, it did very little damage at the farm. It didn't even blow the tarps off of my tractor implements. We had 4.25" in the rain gauge but the ponds don't look any higher. This is just west of Ridgeville.

I saw a few very fresh scrapes and jumped a deer while surveying for damage. Wind direction,temperature and solunar tables look like I need to be in a tree stand this evening. I was expecting to spend the day mopping and running a chainsaw. Woohoo!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Bird_Killa View Post
    Ive noticed a lot of guys shooting 20’s that really need to shoot a 12 based on what you just stated. A proficient shooter should be able to get a 15 bird limit inside of a box with a 20 consistently. It can become more of a challenge late season with migratory birds. It always amazes me how tough they can be.
    That’s a bold statement. I think it is heavily dependent on the field and the birds. I think most who know how I shoot would characterize me as proficient. I will shoot a limit with a box on occasion, but I usually get into a second box.
    Carolina Counsel

Our birds were gone this afternoon

We had a good shoot this evening 120 birds with 15 guns and several people should have limited. Some folks just flat out can’t shoot. All that matters to me is they had a good time. Our total bird count should have been more like 200.

A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!