Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Boy Buggy?? and advice

Default Bad Boy Buggy?? and advice

My neighbor is looking for a golf cart with good torque.

He has a house on a steep hill and he is looking for a golf cart that can climb the hill. His concrete path is too narrow for a UTV.

Any advice is appreciated.

Gas or electric? direct drive or belt drive?

I tried to recommend a bad boy buggy but they seem to have change names?

You will get mixed reviews on the bad boy buggies. Ironically, I loaded mine up this morning and I’m taking it to get some work done. Got to get new batteries and brake job done. I will say for what I’m going to use it for I think it’s good. I think people run into issues when they start using them for things they’re not meant for. I know they don’t like water so if you plan on getting in standing water that’s going to hit the controller I’d probably go in a different direction and go gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good torque and climing hills? gas is a no brainer.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Definitely go with gas. My folks had a steep lake lot for about 10 years and had both gas and electric golf carts. The gas one handled the hill much easier than the battery. Of course that was from 2005ish to 2016. Technology on the battery carts might be better now.

I’ve not heard very many good things about them and know several people that have them and use them for hunting purposes.

Gas. I've had two battery carts and they would be better artificial reefs or boat anchors.

My philosophy is if you bought a gas buggy would you think that replacing the motor every 3-4 years would be acceptable?

Why would you think that's acceptable with an electric motor? Roughly the same cost. One is acceptable and one isnt. Craziness.

I will say the benefits of a super quiet creeper ride is a good one with electric.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    My philosophy is if you bought a gas buggy would you think that replacing the motor every 3-4 years would be acceptable?

Why would you think that's acceptable with an electric motor? Roughly the same cost. One is acceptable and one isnt. Craziness.

I will say the benefits of a super quiet creeper ride is a good one with electric.
    Quiet doesn't outweigh the PITA and cost factor of an electric. Electric carts are a suckers play.

Plumquick rewires electric motors for golf carts. You send them a motor and they send a new motor back better for your specs. Plumquick is in York County.

I got a high speed motor years ago put in a club car. It really goes but now not much torque. This was not meant for the hunt club where I could use a motor with more torque. I have been real tempted to pull this motor and put in a Plumquick torque motor.

On this particular cart, I got rid of the standard club car charger which maintains a trickle charge for so long and dries the batteries out. For what it is worth, this cart is a 48 v DS.

https://plumquick.com/custom-built-m...f-cart-motors/
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I don't know about y'all's electric carts, but mine is anything but quiet on anything other than smooth asphalt.

Look at a Honda Pioneer 500/520. They are narrow like a golf cart but very capable for their size.

Gas or electric has been debated front and back and side to side. (TWSS).

Still havent seen an argument to convince me to buy electric over gas.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Quiet doesn't outweigh the PITA and cost factor of an electric. Electric carts are a suckers play.
    Quality batteries and maintaining those batteries are the trick. We first got our cart used from a dealer over near Lexington. Shitty batteries. We are now on a second set of Trojans. The first set was for about 5 years as I recall. Second set are 3 years and still going.

Mismatched and bad batteries suck.

And they are quiet and you don't smell of exhaust fumes in a climber.

But you have to maintain the batteries.

People are talking about how good Interstates are and I may try them next time but I have been getting Trojans at a good price. They don't bust either.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    I don't know about y'all's electric carts, but mine is anything but quiet on anything other than smooth asphalt.
    Change tires.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Quality batteries and maintaining those batteries are the trick. We first got our cart used from a dealer over near Lexington. Shitty batteries. We are now on a second set of Trojans. The first set was for about 5 years as I recall. Second set are 3 years and still going.

People are talking about how good Interstates are and I may try them next time but I have been getting Trojans at a good price. They don't bust either.
    If you had had to replace the motor in a gasser twice and anticipating another motor swap in two years would you be a little pissed off?

Electric with a lithium battery pack and AC motor swap. You can easily find a used cart with bad batteries on the cheap, drop in about $3K-$4K of batteries and motor, and come out way ahead on price and performance when compared to a Bad Boy. Lithium batteries are sealed with no maintenance like adding water, and are rated for 10x as many charge cycles as the old lead acid.

Quiet ride, 0 maintenance, and enough torque to pull the front tires off the ground. All the upgrades are plug and play, all I needed was a screw driver, and basic socket set.

I've got a 2009 club cart. Aftermarket high torque motor. Maintain the batteries and it's the best of both worlds. If not then get a gas cart. My cart is extremely quiet
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post

Smellin' like gas is the least of your worries.

You stink of post it notes, copy toner and government intrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I feel sorry for you bro. Never had a problem with mine and it's almost 20 years old. Only replaced batteries. You worry me with your opinion.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

thank yall!