Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever have a stand hit by helicopter???

Default Ever have a stand hit by helicopter???

My hunting partner and I lease small track of land in Calhoun Falls that has big power line on it, needless to say our best stand is a nice box type stand looking down power line. Sweet spot

We have one of those tubular steel stands and my partner (residential GC) has it framed it with roof on it. Every few years we replace the sides, he uses very thin sheeting to keep weight down.

We both glanced at it will planting food plots and knew we had little work to do on it but neither of us really paid any attention to it. This is a gun stand so no rush, close shot is 100 yards and can reach out to 400 +

He text me this am and said he realized what was wrong with stand, he had climbed up to clean it out yesterday (buzzards love to use this stand after deer season )

Apparently power company had sent helicopter down couple months ago to trim limbs and damn if they did not hit stand with their saw. Naturally cut right through wood structure but also cut steel tubing as well.

22A80526-9223-407E-B475-F3254E9790C3.jpg4BFFE11A-AC4D-4DE9-880A-A6EAE4D71CD5.jpg

Looks like normal plywood delaminating to me
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Yep!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

There is a support group out there...
    At least I'm housebroken.

The pilot was probably grinning…

If the saw in question caused that damage you are lucky. Nothing in those pictures indicates aerial saw damage. Looks to be normal weathering to me.

^^^ALL OF THE ABOVE. There isn’t a helicopter in existence that will cut perfectly parallel or perpendicular lines. Yes! It’s THE MAN!

Have you called an engineer to see if your stand is far enough away from power lines?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    If the saw in question caused that damage you are lucky. Nothing in those pictures indicates aerial saw damage. Looks to be normal weathering to me.
    But his partner is a residential GC...
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Where’s the photo of the cut steel?

IF a helicopter saw would have hit the side of your stand that overhang from the roof would be Long Gone. Them saw don't play, and they don't have enough control over them to just barely "cut" your stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I'd have to fire him
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Looks like normal plywood delaminating to me

Yep plywood was due to be replaced , probably not best pics in world. Cut steel tubing under floor, that line you see is where saw went in

Pretty sure we can get that welded so stand is ok but gonna just put another one there for this deer season

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    As good as GC’s come but do not think I did not bust his balls over this We had good laugh

I'd have to fire him
    I did but then he reminded me lease was in his name so he got a pass

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Have you called an engineer to see if your stand is far enough away from power lines?

Stand has been there 20+ yrs, they were fine with it, to left of stand is a shooting lane about 200 yards long. Majority of stand is inside tree line , that corner is barely sticking out. In fact limbs were little bit of issue but food plot is on opposite side of power line and the 2nd food plot is about 250 yards away on other side of a creek

Heck just glad they trimmed the limbs for us down power line

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Where’s the photo of the cut steel?
    Thought I took one of that from other side, apparently never did

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Not best pics , from inside very easy to see what happened Looks like as soon as it hit they backed out some way. Side of plywood was normall weathering, we replace that side every 3-4 yrs

Heck loggers were there last summer thinning and coming back to thin right where stand is. Was more worried about them running into it than an aerial saw clipping it
    Last edited by tprice; 09-26-2022 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Yep plywood was due to be replaced , probably not best pics in world. Cut steel tubing under floor, that line you see is where saw went in

Pretty sure we can get that welded so stand is ok but gonna just put another one there for this deer season

As good as GC’s come but do not think I did not bust his balls over this We had good laugh

I did but then he reminded me lease was in his name so he got a pass

Stand has been there 20+ yrs, they were fine with it, to left of stand is a shooting lane about 200 yards long. Majority of stand is inside tree line , that corner is barely sticking out. In fact limbs were little bit of issue but food plot is on opposite side of power line and the 2nd food plot is about 250 yards away on other side of a creek

Heck just glad they trimmed the limbs for us down power line

Thought I took one of that from other side, apparently never did

Not best pics , from inside very easy to see what happened Looks like as soon as it hit they backed out some way. Side of plywood was normall weathering, we replace that side every 3-4 yrs

Heck loggers were there last summer thinning and coming back to thin right where stand is. Was more worried about them running into it than an aerial saw clipping it
    An aerial saw would have knocked the stand over before it made a cut like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I'd have to fire him
    It looks like something my West by god Virginia hillbilly father in law would have built.

It was a three bladed saw. He landed it at the ball park in Abbeville during my girls softball game this spring.

I worked for those guys right out of high school. Used to be standard procedure to fly the lines and scout things like that out before we ever hooked the saw up. Very good chance they didn’t scout it and the pilot saw the stand at the last minute and just clipped it. That’s would’ve been hard to miss on a flyover without the saw

In case you didn’t know, the leaves off a cut cherry limb, will kill the hell out of a cow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I'd hate to be 20' up in a climber when that saw comes by.

i had a similar experience at pincushion....but the saw guy did a great job of trimming the limbs above my stand. he missed the rail by about two feet. pretty dang nifty flying...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Let me guess, that's the south facing wall?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.