Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Camper - Help/Input Wanted

Default Buying a Camper - Help/Input Wanted

So... This idea is still in the conceptual stage for me right now, but I wanted to tap into the brain trust to get some thoughts. We are going to be building on family land, starting within the next couple of months. Under contract on our house right now, set to close around mid-October.

One idea that my wife and I have tossed around is buying a camper and living in it, at our homesite while our home is being built. Before jumping into this I have a lot of questions and welcome any input y'all might have.

Although it will be parked at our property, we want to keep it and use it in the future, camper will be pulled with a 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser - 8,500lb maximum tow weight and 850lb maximum tongue weight
    How much should I back off of these max #'s in looking for suitable campers?
    Would it be smart to make some suspension upgrades to the LC? Change out the rear springs? Air bags? If any upgrades were made, how would/could they effect normal driving?
    Do I need to add aftermarket trailer braking? I've read that our LC comes with a trailer brake control port, but do I need trailer braking?

In regard to campers -
    General style we would get is a king/queen in the front (with wall/door to separate from living space) with two bunks on on one of the back sides
    Brands you would recommend? Stay away from?
    Features to focus on?

Where is the best place to buy?
    Should we find a brand we like and try to find a local dealer?
    Is Camping World ok or are they like the Wal-Mart of camper stores?

I'm sure there are a few things I am missing, feel free to add any additional thoughts.

I get that it will be tight quarters for a time, but we are looking at it as a great opportunity to simplify a lot in our lives. I justify it with the fact that a significant portion of the world lives in one room huts and they are pretty happy (a lot happier than us spoiled Americans in my experience). It will also be a fun time for us as a family to travel and stay at some neat places while the build is going.

TIA
    Formerly DM88

the 850 tongue weight may be a little light

King bed room
    if you dont need the bunks dont get them that space can be used for living space but that cuts down on the selections.
    Most of the dealers are all the same they got entry level and high end. Service after the sale is where they all differ
    You can buy accessories somewhere other than the camping store and save $$
    The bathroom is a big area to be concerned. If you shower be sure it has a step in shower and hard surround rather than a tub with a curtain.
    Many now have washer and dryer hook up too.

In this situation you might also consider a mobile office rental. They usually have a 1/2 bath installed by a free standing shower. thy may have more than one room or open floor plan
    Last edited by centurian; 09-23-2022 at 01:59 PM.

Don't buy a camper. It's dumb.

That's all I have to offer.

Sorry.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Not familiar with the LC but I've never seen one that id want to pull a travel trailer with any size.

Campers, no such thing as a good one. They all pieces of rolling junk. The warranty, they will do their best to screw you over and not pay. Buy used!
    The office trailer may be a better solution if you get one with a shower.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Haha

Why is that MM?
    Formerly DM88

Yes on trailer brakes controller. You will not want to tow that thing without them.

As far as configuration goes, the master up front behind a wall with a door is a non negotiable for us. Also if you can find one with the dual slide bunkroom in the back (not sure how many or if any kids you have) with two bunks, double beds, on one side and a fold out couch and a murphy type bunk on the other side with an entertainment console in the middle. Kitchen/living space in the middle. You should be able to find that set up in a length and weight your LC can tow. Keep in mind your towing capacity is what is going to limit you on size and options.

If you can hold out till 2023 you should start to see some great deals from fire sales on campers and other recreational gear and the snake reaches it's head in its effort swallow its own body.

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    Haha

Why is that MM?
    New campers are a suckers move. They depreciate worse than cars. Definitely buy used. Most campers are owned for 3-5 years before folks decide to sell and that's after they've sat unused for 2-3 years.

Thanks for the input Glenn - Kids wise, yes, we have two boys.
    Formerly DM88

Some of those Australians tow massive “caravans” with their 200 series I think you’ll be ok with some rear airbags. It’s the transmission that will limit the heavy pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    Thanks for the input Glenn - Kids wise, yes, we have two boys.
    You will benefit from the dual slide rear bunk room. I'll see if I can find an example of what I'm talking about.

Something like this...

That thing got more slides than Pete Rose...
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Haha, one thing I am also concerned/wonder about is - how long is too long? In my inner web searching (2th would be proud of my google usage...) it seems like people towing campers with 200 Series aren't going much longer than 28' - Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a 'Max Safe Length' or any such towing category. Glenn - Here is the overall style we are leaning towards:

Camper.jpg
    Last edited by dubs; 09-23-2022 at 02:59 PM.
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    That thing got more slides than Pete Rose...
    Can't hide that veterinarian $$$......
    Formerly DM88

We have a 36’ travel trailer with a bunkhouse in the rear and a queen in the front, full outdoor kitchen with an island and electric fireplace, slide in bunkhouse, slide out in kitchen, exterior entry bathroom and full living room slide. This is our second camper and we bought it new in 2015 from John’s RV in Lexington. It weighs about 9k loaded and I pull it with my 2013 F150 with max tow package and the Ecoboost. It does the job but I do not pull it in the mountains. Max tow capacity on my truck is like 11,200lbs. Ain’t no way in hell I’d go any heavier than what I am now and I even have air suspension on the rear. We have two kids also and the bunkhouse is a must so they can have their own space away from us. Stay away from Camping World. Period. Before you buy have you a shed built to park it under and it will last you a lot longer than just sitting in the weather. I suggest all vinyl floors especially if you like the beach. I would also suggest manual leveling Jacks, I hate our electric ones. I also hate the aluminum sided campers but love our fiberglass sides. Much easier to keep clean. Throw the mattress away that comes on the master bed and buy a better one. We camp year round and love it. Our kids especially love to go. It’s not for everyone but I’d rather drool on my on pillows and shit on my own toilet than stay in a hotel. Feel free to on me if you have any questions.

'Throw the mattress away that comes on the master bed and buy a better one."

Excellent advice.

Jay can help you on this one.

80% of tow capacity and don’t forget to add the weight of pots, pans, clothes, toys, etc to trailer weight. Add tongue weight to your fat azz, your skinny wife and two kids plus all the chit you pack in the LC. Subtract that from payload rating.

Camping world is the devil.

You are about to be Eyeballs deep in used campers trying to be unloaded. As inflation increases people are going to be dumping unused items taking payment dollars. The pandemic was an RV bubble. It is about to burst and there will be plenty of Used, nearly brand new on the market.

I had a coworker that built a nice barn, pulled his camper into the barn and had a good full bathroom built. He actually had second thoughts on building the house. But they had no kids.

My wife and I actually contemplated the same. My youngest son would only agree to it if he could have a basketball goal in the living room and a pet goat.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Buy used. I'm about to start building my barn then pull in my 28' airstream that I got for 4 grand , sell my house, move into the airstream, build a house, then sell the airstream. Luckily my wife has a house in town she'll be staying in otherwise the airstream would probably be a murder/suicide crime scene.

I’ll throw in my 2 cents. We have a 31 5th wheel and I wouldn’t live in it for more than a few weeks. Anything small enough to tow with the LC is too small to live in for a year. Also you’re fixing to venture into one what could be one of the most challenging times in your marriage. Living in a camper will likely multiply the stress 10x.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbreaker View Post
    I’ll throw in my 2 cents. We have a 31 5th wheel and I wouldn’t live in it for more than a few weeks. Anything small enough to tow with the LC is too small to live in for a year. Also you’re fixing to venture into one what could be one of the most challenging times in your marriage. Living in a camper will likely multiply the stress 10x.
    This man speaks truth. If your marriage can withstand building a house while living in a camper you got a good woman.