Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer roast recipes??

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    Sous vide and then seared in a cast iron skillet.

Sous vide completely changed the way I look at a venison roast.

Moist and tender, like roast beef.

Attachment 77709
    I gots the meat sweats just lookin at the photo.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

MS pot roast style is the way to go.

PS - Thank you for a proper thread......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

We do a variation of the Mississippi roast. However we don't add all the packaged seasoning to mask the flavor of the meat. Just salt and pepper and butter.

If you want to kind of church it up a grunt for presentation and a little flare I do a similar version but prep it different.

Trim the roast and do a dry brine on it. Cover with salt and place in the fridge on a rack so air can circulate all around it for 24 hours. Set it out and let it get to room temp. Rub it down with oil, add a little more salt, dust it with flour and sear it in a skillet on all sides, even the ends to get a nice crust on it. Put it in a roasting pan with beef stock (about halfway up the roast), Add the usual vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and celery if you're a commie). One full stick of butter on top of the roast, two big ol pickled banana peppers, pepper to taste. Cover and braise that in the oven or on your smoker at 250-275 until fork tender. Check the liquid level about every hour or so and add stock as needed.

You should have some "gravy" in there when it is done. Serve over the top of biscuits.
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-23-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    What we need is an scducks cookbook
    Right?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Calm down Glennda, celery is part of the cajun Holy Trinity.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Calm down Glennda, celery is part of the cajun Holy Trinity.....
    Yeah, I know. I just don't think it belongs in a classic pot roast recipe and the only folks I've seen include it are yankees and their grey meat methods of cooking.

Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    We do a variation of the Mississippi roast. However we don't add all the packaged seasoning to mask the flavor of the meat. Just salt and pepper and butter.

If you want to kind of church it up a grunt for presentation and a little flare I do a similar version but prep it different.

Trim the roast and do a dry brine on it. Cover with salt and place in the fridge on a rack so air can circulate all around it for 24 hours. Set it out and let it get to room temp. Rub it down with oil, add a little more salt, dust it with flour and sear it in a skillet on all sides, even the ends to get a nice crust on it. Put it in a roasting pan with beef stock (about halfway up the roast), Add the usual vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and celery if you're a commie). One full stick of butter on top of the roast, two big ol pickled banana peppers, pepper to taste. Cover and braise that in the oven or on your smoker at 250-275 until fork tender. Check the liquid level about every hour or so and add stock as needed.

You should have some "gravy" in there when it is done. Serve over the top of biscuits.
    Pretty much what I do. Lots of Pepperoncinis. I don't put taters in mine as we often serve over Yukon gold mashed or Geechie Boi Grits. ( Marsh Hen brand) Grits get the nod most times.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Right?
    That was talked about more than a decade ago. JAB will remember why it never came to fruition. Probably copyright issues all over the place.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    The roast weighed 2lbs and eleven ounces and was cooked at 136 degrees for thirteen hours. 136 seems to be a good compromise for those who like it on the rare side and for those who don’t.

I seared at medium high over gas heat with safflower oil. Sunflower oil works good as well and both are good at high temps.
    Assuming it is in a vacuum sealed bag for those 13 hours, did you prep the meat or add herbs or other seasonings while it was cooking?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Shoulder roast

always a question of what to do with deer shoulders.

Take a large turkey size browning bag add two table spoons of flower and shake it around. Cut two large onions into 1/2: slices and line the bottom of the bag with onion. Season your shoulder as you like it i used salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Cook in oven at 325 for about an hour. Open the browning bag and stuff it as full of peeled potato chunks (about the size of a golf ball) as you can get it. Cook for about another 30 minutes or till as done as you want it. Take the shoulder out and slice pour the bags contents in a bowl for the meal. I usually take the left over meat and put in the bowl of drippings and save as left overs. Works best with a fresh shoulder
    Last edited by centurian; 09-23-2022 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    That was talked about more than a decade ago. JAB will remember why it never came to fruition. Probably copyright issues all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Assuming it is in a vacuum sealed bag for those 13 hours, did you prep the meat or add herbs or other seasonings while it was cooking?
    I did season… I rubbed ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, and dry mustard. And yes, I vacuum sealed after I did the spices.