Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer roast recipes??

Default Deer roast recipes??

Wife and I use venison all time, burger/cube steak and tenderloin/backstrap

She thinks nothing of it. Many years ago i had some roasts done and have to admit they just did not hit on much so never really get roast when I have deer processed

Last year I did get a standard cut which included some boneless roasts.

Wife Put one in crockpot with beef broth and seasoned with Montreal seasoning along w kosher salt and pepper and added veggie Basically just like beef roast

She just did not like the taste of it and she is not a picky eater. Just tells me there is some sort of odd or different taste that she just does not like

Was fine to me but with that said I do not have a strong sense of taste, have ZERO sense of smell (NONE)

To her it is not the “idea” of deer, she has no problem and we use it all the time . Just the roasts never taste well to her

Have a few more in freezer and figured some of y’all have something else I can try In all honesty my Secretary gave me an elk roast couple yeras ago and daughter and I loved it, wife was not very keen on it either

Last edited by wskinner; 09-22-2022 at 06:06 PM.

I have wanted to try one using the mississippi pot roast recipe, it calls for a lot of butter and was thinking a deer roast being more lean would be good cooked this way

It might be a matter of habit. I really wasn't much of a deer hunter but my then 13-year-old son killed a deer so we ate it. Ever since, we have bought almost zero beef. We eat deer at least a couple of times a week. I started noticing that when I had to go out for dinner on business and got a steak, I could taste a "barnyard" flavor that I used to never notice. Now, 15 years later, it's very noticeable. Even my wife will mention that she finds most steaks kind of unappetizing any more.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Oh, I have a crock-pot type smoker that has a coiled burner at the bottom. I've been cold smoking deer for 30-40 minutes before cooking it, usually seared in a cast iron pan. This is mostly back-straps, though. I'm, Lord willing, going to get some venison roasts cut this year and try it with a bigger piece of meat.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    It might be a matter of habit. I really wasn't much of a deer hunter but my then 13-year-old son killed a deer so we ate it. Ever since, we have bought almost zero beef. We eat deer at least a couple of times a week. I started noticing that when I had to go out for dinner on business and got a steak, I could taste a "barnyard" flavor that I used to never notice. Now, 15 years later, it's very noticeable. Even my wife will mention that she finds most steaks kind of unappetizing any more.
    We use venison all the time and think nothing of it. She loves cube steak (in fact prefers it over beef cube steak ). Loves when I grill tenderloin or backstraps whole Med rare but I do wrap in bacon

Just the roasts that she can not enjoy for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by barrineau View Post
    I have wanted to try one using the mississippi pot roast recipe, it calls for a lot of butter and was thinking a deer roast being more lean would be good cooked this way
    It is very good this way. I do 50/50 with butter and olive oil though.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Not a traditional roast, but I have made this a couple of times with a big neck roast and added a pound of beef short ribs. My family loved it.
    https://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbo...be/rexifmidtru

My favorite way to cook a deer roast. There’s a lot of things you can make with Barbacoa.

https://honest-food.net/barbacoa-recipe-venison/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using bone stock over broth would be an easy improvement. In fact I make bone stock out of the four marrow bones from every deer I kill. It is stick-to-your-ribs good.

Sous vide and then seared in a cast iron skillet.

Sous vide completely changed the way I look at a venison roast.

Moist and tender, like roast beef.

E7925FA4-E311-49DF-AEA3-5DACD1661DC2.jpg

If you were lucky enough to draw a pile that had a cut of roast...it would end up in a pressure cooker the next day

crock pots are not the same
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

and damn drylock....
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

We've done roast in the crockpot and in the oven bake bags.
    I prefer the oven. Meat, taters, carrots...

2 1/2 lb roast. Big yeller onion. 6-8 red taters. Small bag baby carrots. 10-12 pepperocini peppers. Pack Lipton onion soup mix. Pack of dry ranch seasoning. 1 1/2 cup beef broth. No salt or pepper needed. Cook 1 hour 15 minutes in pressure cooker and let sit 20-30 minutes before opening.

Drylok, Can you post your recipe? (sous vide time/temp)

What we need is an scducks cookbook

The roast weighed 2lbs and eleven ounces and was cooked at 136 degrees for thirteen hours. 136 seems to be a good compromise for those who like it on the rare side and for those who don’t.

I seared at medium high over gas heat with safflower oil. Sunflower oil works good as well and both are good at high temps.

Quote Originally Posted by barrineau View Post
    We cook them that way often. They are tasty, and fall apart tender. an Elk roast cooked MS style will make your tongue slap your brain silly. One stick of butter is plenty.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    We cook them that way often. They are tasty, and fall apart tender. an Elk roast cooked MS style will make your tongue slap your brain silly. One stick of butter is plenty.
    Believe it or not, moose is even better....