Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal stands near power lines

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I'm just a clown-ass engineer so I'm staying out of this...what you need is a good mechanic.
    695B9151-E880-466D-9801-99BE04ACA8F4.jpg
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 09-21-2022 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Someone sent me this meme the other day,

I’ve gotten some good mileage out of it ever since
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I love that meme because it's the pay scale too...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

You'll be just fine. You'll be much further from any one phase of those lines than they are to each other.

Minimum approach distance for 500kV lines is like 24ft. You're right at it and those standards include enormous safety factor. That's assuming that you've got 500kV overhead.

A short ground rod driven into the ground and attached via copper line of some reasonable size will remove much of your exposure in a flash-over event.

Put the stand up and enjoy yourself. But, listen to everybody else about marking the hell out of those legs and keeping the ground around the stand cleaned up once a year.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Just saved it and sent it to my HR lady.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    You'll be just fine. You'll be much further from any one phase of those lines than they are to each other.

Minimum approach distance for 500kV lines is like 24ft. You're right at it and those standards include enormous safety factor. That's assuming that you've got 500kV overhead.

A short ground rod driven into the ground and attached via copper line of some reasonable size will remove much of your exposure in a flash-over event.

Put the stand up and enjoy yourself. But, listen to everybody else about marking the hell out of those legs and keeping the ground around the stand cleaned up once a year.
    What if his head is the highest thing in the stand? How about for a nearby phase-to-ground fault?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

How do you keep the meth people from stealing the copper wire?
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Untitled.jpg

This should be enough insulation, right? They even cut out a trigger finger for you!
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

What if his head is the highest thing in the stand? How about for a nearby phase-to-ground fault?
    He's still at the limit of minimum approach boundary.

Phase to ground fault through his body is unlikely when the conductor around him is grounded and the resistance through his body is much greater than that of the steel frame of the stand. If he catches one, it was his time to go anyhow.

Do you drive a car? If so, how in the world do you deal with the risk?

Hunt the damn'd stand, man. Or, not. I don't give a shit.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Thanks Turbo! That's the exact info I was looking for. At each of the 4 legs of the stand, there are plates and 3' rods that go through them to anchor the stand down. Do you think that's enough for grounding purposes or do suggest a 5th with the copper wire like you described?

As for the head being the highest point, there is a metal frame around the occupants that gets covered with a fabric and there is a 1/4" rubber mat that goes on the floor to muffle sounds.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

The cracking and popping of the lines will drown out any noises you might make. Go for it.

I've hunted a lot of transmission lines.

Never once got scared of being electrocuted. Like Turbo said, I drove a car on the highway there and my odds of dying there are infinitely higher than in a deer stand from a power line.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I love that meme because it's the pay scale too...
    Hahahaha. This is gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

The tingle will make you feel alive! Hunt it
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    Thanks Turbo! That's the exact info I was looking for. At each of the 4 legs of the stand, there are plates and 3' rods that go through them to anchor the stand down. Do you think that's enough for grounding purposes or do suggest a 5th with the copper wire like you described?

As for the head being the highest point, there is a metal frame around the occupants that gets covered with a fabric and there is a 1/4" rubber mat that goes on the floor to muffle sounds.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Your tie down rods are probably sufficient for a reasonable earth ground. I wouldn't trust it for machine grounding, but for this, I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

Just share the pics of the big ol' deer you shoot in the neck from that power line.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!