Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand Your Ground

Default Stand Your Ground

Terrible situation but why is it even a question about possible charges? Stranger jumps in your car & you are not supposed to think the absolute worst is about to happen?

Father of Tampa student shot and killed as he tried to get into the backseat of a car following a night out with friends says they're still trying to 'figure out' his death... as cops probe shooter's Stand Your Ground defense

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ure-death.html

Play stupid games.....that's what the kid did!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Damn. Seems like an accident not worth dying over to me. Pretty fucked up if anyone thinks he deserved it based on that story.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Castle doctrine extends to the vehicle in SC at least. It will probably come down to whether he actually got in the vehicle or not. Hard to tell from the article

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Play stupid games.....that's what the kid did!
    But was the kid really playing stupid games, or being drunk and just got mixed up and thought a friend had followed him home?

Could be wrong, but the kid doesn’t sound like someone deserving to die. And the question about the shooter sitting in his vehicle at 1:30 am with no license plates(?) and a kid’s stuffed animal in the back street. It sounds like he could just as easily been waiting to kidnap a kid and didn’t want a witness.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

A lot of missing the boat here. You are in your car. Unknown person jumps in. What do you do?

Not applying blame to either. Terrible. I'd wager a lot of social media posts of the shooter will be reviewed by the prosecution to see how much he thumped his chest.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Sometimes shootings are awful but lawful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    A lot of missing the boat here. You are in your car. Unknown person jumps in. What do you do?
    Grab my pistol out from under the console, take the keys out, step out, create distance, and ask dude man why he jumped in my car.

Too many people these days want to be a hero and pull a trigger....

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    Sometimes shootings are awful but lawful.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Grab my pistol out from under the console, take the keys out, step out, create distance, and ask dude man why he jumped in my car.

in that scenario it's likely a shot from you would be unlawful as your life is no longer in danger because you vacated your castle. No first hand knowledge but in my eyes you gave up the high ground.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Probably some gay dude trolling for butts and this kid realized the coke came with a side of weiner, starts to beat the drivers face in and Carl has to shoot him.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Probably some gay dude trolling for butts and this kid realized the coke came with a side of weiner, starts to beat the drivers face in and Carl has to shoot him.
    Spoken like someone with some experience. Let it out bro, we are all friends here.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

My wife and I got in the wrong Uber car (same make, model and color as described in the app) in Canada. We didn't get shot, dude was nice albeit confused, we laughed and parted ways. Middle of the afternoon, snowing in front of the Canadian version of Applebee's.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Not applying blame to either. Terrible. I'd wager a lot of social media posts of the shooter will be reviewed by the prosecution to see how much he thumped his chest.
    Good questions and posts by both of you...

Mars, if an unknown person jumped into my vehicle at 1:20 am I'd most definitely draw on him/her and, hopefully, be able to quickly assess whether it was really an issue of my safety or not before I opened fire. But, then, my doors are always locked, so I'd have some sort of warning that someone was trying to get in to start with... along with the fact that I don't just troll the streets in the middle of the night with no license plates and stuffed animals in the back seat.

It may have been a good shoot, and if so, good for him and bad for the kid. But if the driver is found to have been up to some funny business and just didn't want a witness, I hope he burns in hell.
    ~ George Washington

Guess it'd be foolish to wait on the whole story?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post

if the backseat guy meant ill will, you would have been dead long before you exited the car. Any of the actions (1) getting gun from under console, (2)taking keys out, or (3) exiting vehicle would have taken too long; all three in sequence would doom you. Add to that, (2.5) removing seat belt, and you can forget it.

if your plan is to exit vehicle, do it. (1) leave the keys (2) have gun on your person or leave it too.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I've posted this before, but I'll post it again since it's similar.

My wife and I used to live in Columbia, not far from the fairgrounds/Williams Brice. It was game day and later at night (around 10 to 11). My wife was pregnant, wanted to get out of the house, and decided to drive to grab something quick to eat. She walked out and left the door unlocked, I was sitting on the couch watching TV, the couch was beside the front door, I was pretty good about carrying then and had a .380 in my back pocket (I hardly carry now, usually just leave it in the truck and have a couple in different areas of the house). Out of no where the front door swings open right next to me and there's a young white guy (college age) walking into my house like he owns it. It takes me a few seconds to figure out what the hell is going on, but the gun is drawn, I throw him off the front porch, and last I see of him he's running full speed down the road while I have to round up my dogs (they ran out of the front door and open gate he didn't close).

Long story short, he was a drunk college kid who thought he was walking into someone else's house. If I would have shot, I don't think anything would have happened to me legally, but I would have probably felt terrible if I killed him. No clue if this story is something similar, but it reminded me of that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    C’mon man, where’s the fun in that?
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Screw that, Bart... hunting season hasn't really started yet so there's too much mental effort to waste on priority items.
    ~ George Washington