Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Non-Tobacky Dip

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    http://www.mintsnuff.com/

been using it for years, you can get it on amazon too but amazon is the devil so I dont order anything from them
    That stuff works. They have both scrap and pouches. I ordered it direct from the company website.

I was chewing a plug or better of Brown and Williamson's Sun Cured every day. I occasionally supplemented it with Reynolds Natural Leaf plug or a twist of Mammoth. I had been chewing for about 20+ years when I quit.

The nicotine addiction portion was handled cold turkey. The habit of having a chew in was conquered with Mint Stuff. The habit part was much harder for me than the nicotine. I started with the scrap and moved over the pouches.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Velo. Way better than zyn. And you get twenty pouches vs 15

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    sooooooo.....i wish a dentist would chime in.

I am not a dentist. But I read the outside of a skoal can and it didnt say anything about mouth cancer. It only said something about gum disease and tooth loss. I see HS' Kodiak mentions mouth cancer. Interesting....

I also read an article the other day that said mouth cancer is caused by repeated injury of the tissue, not the tobacco. If that is true, wouldn't all these other options also cause the same injury?

And if nicotine is bad for us, why put straight nicotine in there?

Just a lot of random questions....

to first coat: its a nasty habit and you should quit. Good luck!
    Thank you 2th. I wasn't going to offer any medical advice here either, but I've read more than one article pertaining to your third sentence. So, couldn't repeated sunflower seed use be even worse for folks or just as bad?

Not telling all of you to hop back on the horse...just sayin it's interesting info.

So based on that info, haven’t read the study myself. Could the argument be made that the mechanism for mouth cancer via extended dipping could be from the alkaline nature of the tobacco product? I’ve read it’s common for tobacco companies raise the pH of the tobacco because the nicotine diffusion across the permeable membrane of the vestibule is more efficient at a higher pH. If someone was constantly frying that tissue with a minor caustic burn that would be equivalent in my book of repeatable tissue injury. Maybe the secret is just moderation. Like everything else

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I used to have that poster hanging in my old closet.. kinda surprised there were zero comments about my throwing knives..

I feel like one vice is a necessary evil of mine, so it's Kodiak. I did buy a can of cope a few weeks back.. that stuff still tears up my lip

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    So based on that info, haven’t read the study myself. Could the argument be made that the mechanism for mouth cancer via extended dipping could be from the alkaline nature of the tobacco product? I’ve read it’s common for tobacco companies raise the pH of the tobacco because the nicotine diffusion across the permeable membrane of the vestibule is more efficient at a higher pH. If someone was constantly frying that tissue with a minor caustic burn that would be equivalent in my book of repeatable tissue injury. Maybe the secret is just moderation. Like everything else
    I'm no dentist but I am a high risk of esophageal cancer due to something called Barrett's Esophagus. I get to be scoped once a year. Stomach acid has worked on my throat so much my body has changed the cellular make up of my throat to something like the small intestine.

Silly not to see the parallel.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I used to have that poster hanging in my old closet.. kinda surprised there were zero comments about my throwing knives..

I feel like one vice is a necessary evil of mine, so it's Kodiak. I did buy a can of cope a few weeks back.. that stuff still tears up my lip
    Who doesnt ride with throwing knives?

And without our vices, we'd be absent our virtues. Rock on.

Good info in here, thank you. I think a pack of gum, a can of fake dip (from the above many suggestions) and the occasional real deal may be the ticket. I still enjoy it, just feel the need to try to get a bit healthier as I get closer to 50. I've got other vices no doubt, I think it's just time for me to learn moderation.

i made it past 50 you big quitter
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have four more years, but I feel like the emotional mindset is measured in dog years once you pass forty five. I'm young.