Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for leads on lodging in Nodak

Default Looking for leads on lodging in Nodak

I’m sure I’ll catch hell but there are still a few helpful people on here.

Looking for leads on lodging for 2, devils lake area or even somewhere else.
    Never been to Nodak and know it’s not what it used to be but want to try it at least once. Probably pull a boat

Oct 19-29 preferred dates.
    Airbnb and vrbo have few options left. Have heard there are a good number of locals that rent out farm houses and such that don’t use those online services.
    Should have booked sooner but even 2 people have a hard time getting dates to line up.
    Pm to avoid the drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motel.

First find the ducks. Then worry about where to sleep...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    First find the ducks. Then worry about where to sleep...
    This is the best advise anyone can give you for your first trip to ND.

Devil's Lake area is a bad idea. That area is filled with outfitters whoring out our wildlife for profit and lazy hunters who pay them so this awful trend continues. Not only public water being crowded with them but trying to get permission on any field is going to be very tough because they've bought them up, locking anyone else out from the possibility of knocking on doors to ask for permission.

I made a DIY trip to ND a few years ago to kill snow geese and I was in the Southeastern area. You'll see more waterfowl in that part of the state before lunchtime than you'll see in SC in 10 duck seasons. I don't want to give anymore location detail on a public forum than saying the Southeastern area of the state is where you should focus your efforts. Those small towns in the area all have cheap lodging and a lot of those lodges have game cleaning stations and freezers you can label and store your meat in. That's what we did with the snow geese we killed.

sasha and abby and FISH go to the SE of ND all the time together. they can hook you up

fullerton and oakes have no guides? only devil's lake? hogwash.

fwiw, i spent the flood year up around devils lake and it was memorable. this was 97 i think....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks for the good advice. Will rethink plans and take a chance somewhere. Life’s a gamble

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    sasha and abby and FISH go to the SE of ND all the time together. they can hook you up

fullerton and oakes have no guides? only devil's lake? hogwash.

fwiw, i spent the flood year up around devils lake and it was memorable. this was 97 i think....
    I never said they're only in Devil's Lake. I said Devil's Lake area is overrun with them and that area has more than other areas of the state. Avoid it at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    I never said they're only in Devil's Lake. I said Devil's Lake area is overrun with them and that area has more than other areas of the state. Avoid it at all costs.
    Have you been to NoDak a bunch? You mentioned hunting snow geese once. I'm genuinely just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Have you been to NoDak a bunch? You mentioned hunting snow geese once. I'm genuinely just curious.
    One time for snows during the 3 years I lived in MN.

Everyone I asked about a region to go to, all of whom I trusted as worthy sources of information, told me to avoid that area. So if you're asking have I been to Devil's Lake and dealt with the cesspool of waterfowl guides, no I haven't. But I do believe what my friends in MN told me about avoiding the area for that very reason.

I'm only making mention of it here because I'd hate for this guy to make the drive all the way up to ND and have to deal with them.

Get away from the main well known areas, like the lake mentioned.

Outfitters are cancer up there, and growing across the entire Midwest.

That said, there are still areas you can find with give or take less ducks, but nobody insight.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Outfitters are cancer everywhere. I hate them all.

Outfitters are cancer everywhere. I hate them all.
    They are the plague that will ruin duck hunting. Ducks = money. Money will influence policy

But I do believe what my friends in MN told me about avoiding the area for that very reason.
    This here is your problem. They are the worst to deal with in that state.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    This here is your problem. They are the worst to deal with in that state.
    I've always heard complaints about guides and people coming over from Minnessota from ND locals. I haven't hunted in North Dakota for about 10 years though.

Kansas is the North Dakota. The birds all plumed out, fat and juicy. I can't believe yall haven't heard.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I've always heard complaints about guides and people coming over from Minnessota from ND locals. I haven't hunted in North Dakota for about 10 years though.
    I'm 100% positive that the guys who've commented here, who have combined decades worth experience hunting in NoDak, would absolutely agree with this.

Yea one thing I realized while living in MN is that people in SD and ND absolutely hate MN waterfowl hunters coming over there.

Luckily I don't have the MN accent, 3 years living there isn't enough to make that happen lol. So even though I had "blue plates" on my truck the locals in ND seemed to not mind me and clearly knew I wasn't from around there.

I will say that between hunting the South and the upper Midwest, no group of people has pissed me off more than the waterfowl hunters in Minnesota. So if I was a ND or SD native, I wouldn't want them in my state either.

Here, when I beat someone to a wood duck hole, I just invite them on in. Darealdeal can testify to that, that's how we met! Up there, I'd beat someone to a spot and invite them in. Out of spite they'd just set up 50-75 yds away and sky blast everything just to keep me from getting to work ducks. I've had it happen more than one time. They're the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    I'm 100% positive that the guys who've commented here, who have combined decades worth experience hunting in NoDak, would absolutely agree with this.
    Hell, the Minnesota duck killers I know will tell you that in a heartbeat. The further that you can get from Minneapolis-St. Paul the better. Words to live by...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Hell, the Minnesota duck killers I know will tell you that in a heartbeat. The further that you can get from Minneapolis-St. Paul the better. Words to live by...
    There are many reasons to stay away from Minneapolis/St Paul if you're gonna live in MN other than duck hunting. That place is an insane asylum. Like a colder San Francisco.