Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dead zone shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    No such thing as a dead zone. You're either in the chest or you aren't. There's no dead space in the chest.
    Bingo. Folks think they shoot between lungs and spine…isn’t possible. Spine dips pretty low at base of neck before coming back up. Most folks hit a bit more forward than they think and go over spine.

That said, the mucous consistency makes me think lungs. High double lung would have him on the ground pretty quickly.
    (Edit…after actually reading this entire thread, I’m not so sure about the previous statement anymore).
    I one lunged a deer in Ohio that bled snotty, clotty bright red like that. Found a spot where it looked like he lost half a damn lung. Never found the deer. If he shot at a pretty steep angle…either from way up high or if the deer was just really close or both…and entrance was high, he likely got that offside lung.

If that is the case, the deer may die; he may not. They will clot off fairly quickly, and lungs have an auto-shunting ability to l route bloodflow away from injured areas. He will die if the air that is going in the lung and out the damaged area gets trapped between the lung and the chest wall…it’ll collapse the lungs and kill Him. If that air escapes the chest cavity through the entry or exit hole long enough for that lung area to clot off/seal, he will likely live. One lung shots freaking suuuuck!

Keep looking. Good luck.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-27-2022 at 01:25 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

See. This is why I’m going for 100% ham shots this year. Shoot him in the ham, go have a bite to eat, come back in an hour and retrieve the very dead deer less than 100 yards from where you shot him. You’ll have a bit of bloodshot ham to add to the hamburger pile, but you will have the deer. And no, you don’t have to hit femoral artery for a ham shot to kill the piss out of a deer.

I say this every year, then I shoot for the classic lung shot and eventually regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Attachment 77837

showed back up last night
    Is that the entry or exit hole? Were you elevated? Good to see he’s alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    For an 8 year old? Someone should kick you in the nuts
    The 8 year old didn't call it a giant. The dad did. KMA.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Nothing at all, I was poking fun at you saying you think the deer is dead. Carry on
    whew.

i think every deer that bleeds is dead until proven otherwise.....

believe it or not, there are 3 or 4 non-family members on this planet that like me (aka: put up with me)
    One shot a buck friday and called me. I ran home and got my dog and went to his place. we looked for 3 or 4 hours. in waist high grass and knee deep water through a swamp in his back 40. my boykin followed that daggum trail well until we were in the middle of that wet patch. we felt like that deer had made it to the other side mainly bc our human eyes thought it was the way out. Well, we never found blood on the other side. my guess is that deer stayed in that swampy area and curled up somewhere. or, of course, he is alive and I lost sleep for no reason, wondering where that SOB could've been hiding.

deer are tough but i'm still gonna think they're dead if they bleed one drop. I've seen some crazy shit in my time. deer that didnt bleed to ones that looked like the gushed a 5 gal bucket and we bumped them, alive, 24hours later.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    The 8 year old didn't call it a giant. The dad did. KMA.
    Next time my 8 year old shoots a buck like that instead of saying "good job buddy that's a giant" I'm gonna say "way to go asshole you killed one of our up and comers". Is that better for you
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Next time my 8 year old shoots a buck like that instead of saying "good job buddy that's a giant" I'm gonna say "way to go asshole you killed one of our up and comers". Is that better for you
    That guy is a prick.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    whew.

i think every deer that bleeds is dead until proven otherwise.....

believe it or not, there are 3 or 4 non-family members on this planet that like me (aka: put up with me)
    One shot a buck friday and called me. I ran home and got my dog and went to his place. we looked for 3 or 4 hours. in waist high grass and knee deep water through a swamp in his back 40. my boykin followed that daggum trail well until we were in the middle of that wet patch. we felt like that deer had made it to the other side mainly bc our human eyes thought it was the way out. Well, we never found blood on the other side. my guess is that deer stayed in that swampy area and curled up somewhere. or, of course, he is alive and I lost sleep for no reason, wondering where that SOB could've been hiding.

deer are tough but i'm still gonna think they're dead if they bleed one drop. I've seen some crazy shit in my time. deer that didnt bleed to ones that looked like the gushed a 5 gal bucket and we bumped them, alive, 24hours later.
    Good on yall for sticking with it and I agree. I lost a good buck in late December last year that I think I hit high, the last 6 inches of the arrow broke off and he carried the rest with him. That deer bled more than any deer I've ever seen. We had no problem following the blood and we jumped him 300 yards from where I shot him 3 hours later. I came back the next morning and ended up jumping the buck 18 hours after the shot over 2 miles from where I shot him and had a steady blood trail the whole way. Sometimes they just have the will to live.

Good gosh your big ole panties have gotten bunched up over nothing. I would never have made a negative comment if the kid killed the buck. He didn't- hence the picture of the live "giant" with a hole above his spine. Until you got him stirred up, the OP appeared to agree with my assessment of the "giant," as he appeared to share my sentiment. Finally, the OP didn't mention in the original post that he was relying upon his son's characterization of the giant in referring to him as a giant, as he was not in position to see said giant. Feel better? I sure do. Moving on now.
    Carolina Counsel

we all know that aint a giant but i dont feel any better.

visor guy is an asshole. and hunts over corn.
    and eats lemons.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Screenshot_20220921-221220_COMMAND.jpgScreenshot_20220921-221626_COMMAND.jpg
    Shot this one about three weeks ago..not sure how he didnt drop! Wont be doing any neck shots for sure anymore...Was blessed to get another opportunity this past Friday eve...made that one count!

Good gosh your big ole panties have gotten bunched up over nothing. I would never have made a negative comment if the kid killed the buck. He didn't- hence the picture of the live "giant" with a hole above his spine. Until you got him stirred up, the OP appeared to agree with my assessment of the "giant," as he appeared to share my sentiment. Finally, the OP didn't mention in the original post that he was relying upon his son's characterization of the giant in referring to him as a giant, as he was not in position to see said giant. Feel better? I sure do. Moving on now.
    No he didn't agree, he just Probly a lot nicer than me. I call it how I see it

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    we all know that aint a giant but i dont feel any better.

visor guy is an asshole. and hunts over corn.
    and eats lemons.
    Yeah but I don't hunt over cob corn, so suck it

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Hahaha...I thought the same thing. It was a giant from an 8 yr old's view point. To my credit, he was sitting with my dad in a buddy stand and I was 40 yds or so from them in a lock on with a minimal view point.
    Really VG? You should work on your reading comprehension. “I thought the same thing” means he agreed. Bite me.
    Carolina Counsel

Really VG? You should work on your reading comprehension. “I thought the same thing” means he agreed. Bite me.
    Read the second sentence dumbass. It was a giant to an 8 year old. I was gonna post a pic of a spike my son shot tonight but you done ruined that

And drakey I'm glad the deer showed back up. I hope your son gets another poke at him

Quote Originally Posted by hunt em down View Post
    Screenshot_20220921-221220_COMMAND.jpgScreenshot_20220921-221626_COMMAND.jpg
    Shot this one about three weeks ago..not sure how he didnt drop! Wont be doing any neck shots for sure anymore...Was blessed to get another opportunity this past Friday eve...made that one count!
    Stud! So you killed him Friday? I musta missed the tongue pics.

Doe in background shot in neck too?
    Low country redneck who moved north

Doe not shot in the neck that im aware of...at least not by me...
    Attached Images Attached Images

And drakey I'm glad the deer showed back up. I hope your son gets another poke at him
    Thanks man. We were hoping to go back after him Saturday morning, but looks like it's gonna be a wash out.