Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead zone shot...

75B8F6DB-480C-4560-B5CF-1C69A9D9323B.jpg

This one bled a lot for 500 yards until I lost his trail in waist deep water. Shot was 20 yards from 25 feet up and arrow deflected and exited between the shoulder blades. He was a 200 plus pound deer.

Just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    75B8F6DB-480C-4560-B5CF-1C69A9D9323B.jpg

This one bled a lot for 500 yards until I lost his trail in waist deep water. Shot was 20 yards from 25 feet up and arrow deflected and exited between the shoulder blades. He was a 200 plus pound deer.

Just some food for thought.
    Man that's almost dead on to where his shot placement was. I swear. I just can't figure out where the arrow is unless he's still got it in him. He isn't shooting but probably 250 fps so I guess there's a chance it got stuck in the opposite shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Man that's almost dead on to where his shot placement was. I swear. I just can't figure out where the arrow is unless he's still got it in him. He isn't shooting but probably 250 fps so I guess there's a chance it got stuck in the opposite shoulder.
    It very well could have if he was shooting a big expandable. That deer was shot with a 623 grain arrow out of a 70 pound bow and the arrow came out as he ran off.

I spent the majority of Saturday night trailing a buck a buddy of mine hit high and it didn't pass through. There was a lot of blood for the first 200 yards and then it started getting thin. We couldn't find it after searching with 2 different dogs. It sucks but it happens. Hopefully that buck will survive and your boy will get another shot at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Muscle bleeds a lot
    A whole lot.

Where CW's deer was hit is above the ribcage and just over the spine through the dorsal spinous processes and through the backstraps. And inch or two lower and that pic would be a grip and grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Where CW's deer was hit is above the ribcage and just over the spine through the dorsal spinous processes and through the backstraps. And inch or two lower and that pic would be a grip and grin.
    How much room is there between the spine and the lung? Typically?

about < > this much
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

How much room is there between the spine and the lung? Typically?
    Zero. Now the degree that the lung is inflated varies depending on inspiration vs exhalation. But the lung is never fully collapsed and always fills the chest cavity until the vacuum inside the thorax is lost and exposed to atmospheric pressure, i.e. running a bullet or a broadhead through the chest. You poke a hole in the chest big enough for air to get in and that sides lungs are going down. You poke a hole in both sides of the chest and both sides go down.
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-19-2022 at 03:22 PM.

zero, my ass. you could delicately put a piece of notebook paper in there....

to the OP....the situation sucks. I'm glad he was shooting a crossbow but still should have a pass thru at 20 steps if hit high. was this from a ground blind? not elevated? i remember coastal woodie's deer. not to hard to fathom that deer living. granted, if he was 10 steps from an elevated position, that entry is money.

also agree deer bleed a lot but i am still of the mindset that deer is dead (until proven otherwise).

and quit reading the internet so you dont use "dead zone" around here again. (joke)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yeah man, use “the void” instead…..

Bow hunting is about like throwing deep pass routes into double coverage. Theres a whole lot of shit that can happen. Only one of those things is good.
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 09-20-2022 at 07:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    zero, my ass. you could delicately put a piece of notebook paper in there....

to the OP....the situation sucks. I'm glad he was shooting a crossbow but still should have a pass thru at 20 steps if hit high. was this from a ground blind? not elevated? i remember coastal woodie's deer. not to hard to fathom that deer living. granted, if he was 10 steps from an elevated position, that entry is money.

also agree deer bleed a lot but i am still of the mindset that deer is dead (until proven otherwise).

and quit reading the internet so you dont use "dead zone" around here again. (joke)
    Touche' sir. I figured yall would know where I was talking about if I used that "dead zone" phrase and I wouldn't have to try to explain where I was talking about. He was up about 20 feet or so. I'm hoping these 90 degree days will get him smelling right if he's dead.

ha
    at least you have a sense of humor.

i had never heard that phrase....but critters are pretty tough. that's for sure.

If such a thing did exist, shouldnt it be called the "live" zone?

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    If such a thing did exist, shouldnt it be called the "live" zone?
    deadzone.jpg

deadzone2.jpg

we really should outlaw the internet. the place where anyone can be right....

online reviews and customer service!

The X on that diagram is nothing but backstrap. If you're below the spine it's either top of the lungs or the artery that runs under the spine, either one is a dead deer.

It pains me to say it but our local dentist and vet are correct.

skip to 4:02. I've cleaned 100s of deer and have never realized the spine goes that far down. Again, like tooth said, this did come off of the internet.

I love a high shoulder shot with the rifle.......DRT.....