Thread: S&G lock problems

Default S&G lock problems

Have a Browning safe that the mechanical lock that is missing when putting in the combination. Sometimes it works first try and sometimes it takes 10 plus tries to get it to open. It’s so bad that I will check combination to make sure I’m putting in right. Had this problem shortly after I bought the safe. Company I bought it from came out and worked on the safe. Couldn’t repair the original lock so they replaced it with a new S&G lock. Couple months later the new lock is doing the same thing. Always heard the S&G’s were good locks but I’m not pleased with them at all. Is there a better mechanical lock. If so what is it. Thanks

I've never head much luck. End up replacing them every few years. I miss the dial/mechanical locks

Quote Originally Posted by ScLowCountry View Post
    I've never head much luck. End up replacing them every few years. I miss the dial/mechanical locks
    That’s what’s on the safe is the dial/mechanical lock. Those are the ones you’ve been replacing or you’re talking about the keypad locks? Always heard you’d have trouble with them but not the dial.

Triangle Safe and Lock in West Cola. He’s a member on here…Rooster13 I think???
    Last edited by reeltight; 09-18-2022 at 06:50 AM.

Yeah check with rooster. Bought my browning from him.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Clean and lube lock

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Clean and lube lock
    I surely hope that’s not the problem. The safe is about 6 months old or so and first lock was replaced around 3-4 months old. Original lock was clean when they changed it out. He said the tumblers weren’t lining up each time it was spun. Sometimes they would line up several numbers off from where the combination was set. Seems to be doing the same thing this time.

That sounds frustrating as hell. And damn not being able to get to something quick if need be. I might would just buy a new one to hopefully eliminate another potential headache. D- I have a browning w the dial lock- I’ve had mine for 15 years and never had any issue. Is yours a newer model or old?
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    That sounds frustrating as hell. And damn not being able to get to something quick if need be. I might would just buy a new one to hopefully eliminate another potential headache. D- I have a browning w the dial lock- I’ve had mine for 15 years and never had any issue. Is yours a newer model or old?
    Yes it’s brand new. Was bought in March-April of this year. It’s one of their higher grade safes but not the very top. Pretty sure it’s the 48T in the silver line. If it wasn’t for the pain of moving it in I’d consider getting a new. That thought has crossed my mind. Plus I had to wait 3-5 months on this one to come in.

S&G still makes one of the better dial combination locks out there. It sounds to me like wear or a loose spline key. One of the main things to remember with a dial lock is not to spin the dial too fast. When you grab the dial and spin fast, small brass pieces attached to the wheels are hitting each other hard causing more wear than if your hand maintains contact with the dial as you turn it. By changing your combination back to the original number or a new combination, a key change lock actually compensates for the wear and should work perfect. There are generally 3 wheels and a drive cam that is basically fixed on the end of the dial shaft and connected by a spline key. When you turn the dial left or right, the drive cam turns left or right with no play. If the spline key gets loose at all, it will cause the safe to dial a number or more off. When this happens, sometimes adding a number or two to the third number helps, sometimes it will be so bad you have to add numbers to all to get it to open.

If you live anywhere close to Columbia, give us a call and I am sure we can fix this problem. If you are not close to here, as Founder of the SC Locksmith’s Association, I should be able to recommend someone that can fix this for you.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

PS—I have pretty much retired but my son Lance and daughter Kelsey have taken over and are doing great. If anyone has safe or lock problems, I do not mind you calling me direct. Larry—cell 803-351-9850.

Safe locks should never be just sprayed with a lubricant. There are only a couple of places inside a lock that receive any lubrication. Lube attracts dust and dirt and most safe locks are lubricated for life already.

Pm sent thanks

The only time I have had the problem was on an old plate vault door in a place I rented. Owner did not have combo. I took lock plate off and figured it out for him. The tumbler plates had some “drag” that was causing the problem. The lube I used was some specialty dry lube I had to order.

Roster would know better than anyone on here!!

The S&G I have on my hamilton safe has been flawless.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 09-18-2022 at 05:29 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Have a champion safe with an S&G combination lock for 20 years and no problem. However thing build todays are not like thing build years ago. Seen old floor safes 50 years old that work fine. For those looking at electronic locks they may not work after an EMP. That is why I went with a mechanical lock.