Thread: Net size for shrimping

Default Net size for shrimping

Had a lady ask me this am what size net she and her husband need for shrimping.

They headed down next week for first trip.

Been years since I have thrown net for shrimp, seems to me like we always used a 3/8 and 8’ net. She was asking me if their 6’ 1/2” would work.

Now days all throw net for is pogies

If baiting, 1/2 or bigger. Not baiting 3/8 is fine.

1/2 by law for baiting. Fully opening a small net is better than half moon on a larger one. I always threw a 6’ until I could handle the 8’. Would throw the 6’ and once the shrimp show up I’d grab the 8’.

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    1/2 by law for baiting. Fully opening a small net is better than half moon on a larger one. I always threw a 6’ until I could handle the 8’. Would throw the 6’ and once the shrimp show up I’d grab the 8’.
    That’s working smarter not harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

A 6' circle has 355 square feet of surface area. An 8' circle has 631 square feet of surface area. Those extra 2 feet of radius give you ~77% more surface area. It's also a 33% increase in circumference which roughly equates to 33% extra lead line weight.

Bigger mesh lets the net sink faster.

Look at the Calusa net company website and watch their video for throwing nets. There are many other styles but the Calusa method was one of the easier ones for me to learn for throwing bigger nets.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 09-17-2022 at 10:01 AM.

I just bought an 8ft Black Pearl with the leadline built into the bottom of the net so there is no exposed weights. Interested to see how it throws. Get 5/8 in to get rid of the small shrimp. I cant think of anything more miserable than cleaning a cooler full of smalls.

If they are thick i will throw a 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

9893CF45-473A-46AE-92F8-B2614414C91D.jpg

Here’s an old 12’ net I’m going to tape. Im sure most of you know this already, but if you’ll tape your net, they’ll open even on a bad throw.

Throwing the big net is the easy part. Pulling it back in is what always killed me. We always used 5/8 inch as well to try to cut down on the smaller shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I just bought an 8ft Black Pearl with the leadline built into the bottom of the net so there is no exposed weights. Interested to see how it throws. Get 5/8 in to get rid of the small shrimp. I cant think of anything more miserable than cleaning a cooler full of smalls.

If they are thick i will throw a 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just got the 10' 3/8" and like it so far. Buddy was about to order a Tim Wade and he threw my black pearl.....sent me a pic of his pearl 8' 3/8" 2 days ago.