Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 O/U sub $800

Default 20 O/U sub $800

Looking for opinions on a 20ga O/U for less than $800. Looking at a CZ pretty hard. What day the brain trust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Love the way my CZ 20 all terrain shoots…. My only problem with it is it already has some rust on it….. I emailed CZ this morning actually about it. Has a spot on the barrel and some around the magnets as well as in the barrel. Everything has been cleaned after every use and oiled. Got a buddy with a 12 in the same model only mine is the ultra light all terrain…. He is also have a problem with barrel rust. I do know a few with them with no problems….. mine cleans up with some steel wool and oil…..
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I doubt this is true but worth reading about CZ possibly discontinuing or revamping their shotgun lineup.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/...583427/?page=1

Yildiz is a a Turkish brand.

I’ve got their side by side in 20ga and 12ga.

Also have the 28ga over and under.

Great small bird guns in my opinion.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

everyone I know that has a CZ loves them..never had one myself but definitely considered one.
    At least I'm housebroken.

I have a stoeger 20ga o/u I think it was $500. I have killed a crap load of stuff with it. It’s my upland gun.

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Yildiz

Someone one here, HuntingHagen maybe, had a bad experience with the yildiz if I remember right. Seemed like they told the story of reloading it, snapping it shut and the barrels going off.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I’ve had this happen with a yildiz 20 ga. I sent it back through academy. I’ve probably shot 500 or more rounds through it since and never had it happen again. Still do not feel safe enough to use it for anything other than shooting clays and probably never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Someone one here, HuntingHagen maybe, had a bad experience with the yildiz if I remember right. Seemed like they told the story of reloading it, snapping it shut and the barrels going off.
    Yep, haven’t touched the gun except to move it since, and that was probably 15 years ago or more.

Killed a duck and used both shells,reloaded, safety was on, closed the gun, went off and my hands were not on the trigger. I was very lucky no one was in the way.

And the gun just feels cheap in general.

Yildiz, CZ, Savage/Steven's 555 in no particular order.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

That’s scary stuff Jacob.

I’ve probably run 1000 thru my 12, 500 Thru the 20.

No issues.

O/U a few boxes.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I'd recommend looking for something that you can have repaired if needed. Who knows how long the Turkish varieties and their parts will be available. (Stay away from Yildiz and look for used "B" gun.)

I bought a cheap stoger the other day at Palmetto. Shot it in the rain instead of my Beretta. Love it. It's the 12 but they make it in 20 as well but did not have any in stock when I bought. It shoots the bottom barrel first and does not have a selector. The bottom with IC is deadly on doves with 7 1/2. I'm waiting on a 20 gauge now. There's absolutely nothing nice about it... black synthetic and you can tell it's low cost but at $300 I couldn't pass it up. I figured it was marked wrong but it appears it's that price every day. Probably going to keep it for tracking deer just because it's so cheap and synthetic.

The Stevens 555 is a fantastic little gun for under $800. I’ve shot the 20 and the 28 and both are great little guns. They carry like a dream on a 10 mile public land quail slog.

Apparently the ATI Calvary and Steven’s 555 are the same.

ATI is based out of Summerville SC.

Another vote for the Stevens 555

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Buy once, cry once. Stay away from any Turkish crap. They aren't built to last. Save your money and get a Beretta or Browning. Or find a nice Beretta auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Buy once, cry once. Stay away from any Turkish crap. They aren't built to last. Save your money and get a Beretta or Browning. Or find a nice Beretta auto.
    Best advice in the whole thread.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    I have a stoeger 20ga o/u I think it was $500. I have killed a crap load of stuff with it. It’s my upland gun.

I tried to hunt with one of those at a dove shoot once. Safety took the meat off my thumb it was so tight. Found the chokes for it the other day...That gun is long gone...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton