Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low-Tox Anti-Freeze…?

Default Low-Tox Anti-Freeze…?

Do any of you use the ‘Low-Tox Anti-Freeze’ in your vehicles in order to reduce the potential of a pet being poisoned by a leak?

I realize that many/most/all(?) of the newer models require specific fluids, but older ones don’t.

I try to use it in my wife’s older Camry station wagon, but it’s hard to find in stock.

Does it not work as well, or is it just because so many vehicles require specific types of AF?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Nobody uses or is familiar with this type of anti-freeze?

I thought the SCDBT knew everything...?
    ~ George Washington

Fix that water pump and quit worrying about your poodle drinking out of the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Fix that water pump and quit worrying about your poodle drinking out of the driveway.
    It's not the water pump that's leaking, but thanks for the tip. And our vehicles actually live their off time in a garage, and the current dog rarely goes in there, but one never knows. So what's with the resistance about using safer coolant if your vehicle can use it? There's no testosterone in the hard stuff, so what's the difference?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-11-2022 at 04:16 PM.
    ~ George Washington

I think it’s a non issue now as antifreeze manufacturers use an additive that gives a bitter taste. Not the old deadly sweet flavor anymore.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Quote Originally Posted by Featherduster View Post
    I think it’s a non issue now as antifreeze manufacturers use an additive that gives a bitter taste. Not the old deadly sweet flavor anymore.
    I've never heard that. You'd think the guys at NAPA would know that (particularly one of the former local owners I know), but then I guess most of them are just clerks of a sort.

Thanks for the info.
    ~ George Washington

Most all are propylene glycol base these days as ethylene is hazardous. Antifreeze also has additional inhibitors and additives to make it conducive for automobile service. Some make it a big mystery so they can charge more for it

Just joking and didn't mean to ruffle you. How is it getting where your pets can access it?

Every other fluid in your vehicle is toxic too. Maybe making it taste and/or smell bad is the solution.

I worry more about my pets eating toxic plants. They sometimes graze like goats and eat stuff you'd never expect to be palatable. One dog has a fetish for pampas grass and then poops a sweetgrass basket in the yard a day later.

PB--i wouldnt poke this bear. His dogs can siphon antifreeze out of his cars while making a rhododendron salad....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It's like y'all don't want my kids to go to college.

if i had to guess it wont be the financial side that keeps em out....
    (this is intended as a joke for all you humorless sonsabitches)

2th is on a roll this morning

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    if i had to guess it wont be the financial side that keeps em out....
    (this is intended as a joke for all you humorless sonsabitches)
    Are you saying it'll be the Alabama blood that runs in 'em that's gonna keep 'em out?

That's not very nice. Glennda went to college with Alabama blood of the orange sort. But, I reckon he did to go Alabama college of the orange sort. So, maybe his kids can go there too?

I'm just trying to help him believe it's possible. That's all.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Are you saying it'll be the Alabama blood that runs in 'em that's gonna keep 'em out?

That's not very nice. Glennda went to college with Alabama blood of the orange sort. But, I reckon he did to go Alabama college of the orange sort. So, maybe his kids can go there too?

I'm just trying to help him believe it's possible. That's all.
    To be fair and in the interest of clarity; I really don't care if they go to college or not. That'll be for them to decide because I'm not paying for it regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Just joking and didn't mean to ruffle you. How is it getting where your pets can access it?

Every other fluid in your vehicle is toxic too. Maybe making it taste and/or smell bad is the solution.

I worry more about my pets eating toxic plants. They sometimes graze like goats and eat stuff you'd never expect to be palatable. One dog has a fetish for pampas grass and then poops a sweetgrass basket in the yard a day later.
    No worries, you didn't ruffle me at all.

As for how they could get access to it... none of my former Goldens or Labs who were fairly well obedience and field trained were ever an issue. Since they all passed on, we've adopted rescues and fostered Goldens for the last 20 years, and they are all unknowns until you get to know them and test their training. Most of the adopted ones have done real well with obedience, and I've had very few concerns about their nibbling/licking habits, with the exception of being extra cautious about any and all drips or spills in the garage. With the old AF and the ethylene base, I knew it only took an ounce or less to kill a mid-size dog, so I switched to the non-tox varieties as soon as they came out. I just missed the changeover to the propylene-glycol base or I wouldn't have concerned myself with it.

Where do the possible leaks/drips come from? Topping off a radiator, such as my wife's since it sprung a leak somewhere that I'm working on tracking down to either repair, or replace, depending on what I find. In the meantime, I just keep absorbent and cardboard on the floor under her engine. The same with being careful about filling the window washer reservoirs, etc. Working on the tractor is always done over a box of absorbent so I don't have any concerns about 'tasty stuff' getting into the leaves and soil.

The only toxic plant any of my dogs ever ate was one male Golden, who was otherwise quite intelligent, until one day he got an inkling to test out the Cow Itch Vine in a corner of the yard. Within an hour his face swelled up and got splotchy that, fortunately, a couple of Benadryl took care of. Apparently that stuff is a common allergen.

My first Golden, who was a trained hunt test retriever and duck and quail hunting dog, had a fetish for mushrooms. I never figured out how he never got sick, but apparently there's a difference in the smell or something as no matter what I said, he would just bend his head down and scarf a mushroom while never breaking stride. He worried the hell out of my wife and I, but since he apparently knew what he was doing I left him alone.
    ~ George Washington

my dog likes to roll in beaver poop.
    or beaver throw up.
    I never know which....

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    PB--i wouldnt poke this bear. His dogs can siphon antifreeze out of his cars while making a rhododendron salad....
    Well thanks for the compliments on the intellectual abilities of my dogs, but I've trained them that they can only use s siphon hose when I'm with them and they get my permission. They've also been trained to substitute dandelions for rhododendron and azalea leaves and pollen. It's really not that hard when you have normal, intelligent dogs, and not those average, in-bred little brown dogs.
    ~ George Washington

just because my dog is inbred doesnt mean you can make fun of him/her

wait....did woodie just make a joke?

Biggest ripoff in antifreeze is 50/50 mix.......You only get half as much. So ya buying am half gallon of water.