Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheyenne Wy/Great Falls, MT

Default Cheyenne Wy/Great Falls, MT

Putting in for special duty orders in the USAF. Which place would you recommend? If I get the job I’m guaranteed one of the two but I have number them my #1 or #2, it’ll be a 3-5 year tour.

My heart says Montana, but Wyoming would be better for family things I’m thinking. Never been west of Kansas so not familiar with either place. My main focus would be waterfowl/upland but would like to take out a Mule deer or pronghorn. Elk would be a huge bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Land is cheaper in Wyoming. I like both areas.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Are you applying to be a Facility Manager? My knowledge is 20 years old now. The constant wind in Cheyenne will suck the life out of you. I've seen the wind flip 18 wheelers like the truck weighed a 10lbs. Great Falls has better hunting than Cheyenne. I imagine Cheyenne is now north Denver. To answer your question, Malmstrom #1 and Warren #2.

Montana.

Housing in Cheyenne is expensive. If you like rodeo and cowboy life, Wyoming is great. Close friend just moved from Cheyenne and hunted all over the state. Have had several friends stationed at Malmstrom and they loved the hunting opportunities. Cant speak to housing costs in that portion of Mt. Neither one is a bad decision and look forward to hearing what you decide.

Cheyenne is a day trip distance to Denver and everything in between the two (Boulder, Ft. Collins).

Great Falls is a day trip from Helena and that's about it.

If I were going to haul my family, I'd rank Cheyenne over Great Falls.

If I were going by myself, it's a toss up with pros and cons to both.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

The wind blows in Great Falls too. Whole lot easier to fly somewhere or people to fly to you in Cheyenne
    cut\'em

I'd crunch tag numbers. Meaning number of tags issued per species and how that breaks to to tags per resident and those numbers would play a large part in my decision making process.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

OTC elk is much better in Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro92 View Post
    Are you applying to be a Facility Manager? My knowledge is 20 years old now. The constant wind in Cheyenne will suck the life out of you. I've seen the wind flip 18 wheelers like the truck weighed a 10lbs. Great Falls has better hunting than Cheyenne. I imagine Cheyenne is now north Denver. To answer your question, Malmstrom #1 and Warren #2.
    Yes I am. Dropping the package this week. Tired of constant deployments and need a break. Family is used to me being gone with my schedule at the Fire Department. So facility manager schedule isn’t bad. Thanks!

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I'd crunch tag numbers. Meaning number of tags issued per species and how that breaks to to tags per resident and those numbers would play a large part in my decision making process.
    That’s what I’m doing now. I’m not a huge big game hunter but would like to take opportunities while there!

Great Falls is about 1.5 hrs from the Bob Marshall wilderness- some nice elk hunting there
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

For the facility mngr position I would go with Wyoming. If you get orders there then you are considered a resident so you can hunt the wilderness areas without a guide. You could also drive down to
    Colorado for a over the counter elk tag if you don’t draw Wyoming. Good luck hopefully you get selected. When I applied the functional wouldn’t release me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vthokee View Post
    For the facility mngr position I would go with Wyoming. If you get orders there then you are considered a resident so you can hunt the wilderness areas without a guide. You could also drive down to
    Colorado for a over the counter elk tag if you don’t draw Wyoming. Good luck hopefully you get selected. When I applied the functional wouldn’t release me.
    My career field is 180% over manned so I’m good on that front

Good luck, remember you will deal with some pure genius in the field...two cops and two steel balls comes to mind. Most of my FMs had very, profitable side gigs from construction to dog boarding and everything in between. They did not want to leave.

Montana, hands down

I’d say MT. Eastern WY can be pretty desolate country. Also I’d personal get as far away from Colorado as possible.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro92 View Post
    Wholeheartedly concur. Malmstrom was one of my better assignments. The best SAC northern tier base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Well, looks like I’m headed to Wyoming. Wife is bummed she wanted Montana. Now time to start getting prepped for hunting. Looks like I’ll be here the rest of this year

Congrats- that sounds awesome
    Carolina Counsel