Thread: Motor title from non titling state

Default Motor title from non titling state

Looking at a project boat from NC…they obviously don’t title motors…….how do you get a SC title issued.

If I'm not mistaken get a bill of sale stating that the motor came from NC a non title state along with pictures of the model and serial number on the motor bracket and take that to SCDNR and fill out the appropriate paperwork and that should cover you.

I was like wised mystified by a motor I bought that had an SC registration number on it. Never seen that before.

I titled one from NC and it was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by padl8697 View Post
    I titled one from NC and it was easy.

Assume the way Joel stated?

Print off the standard dnr paperwork for your vessel/outboard title application. There’s a section in there for bill of sale, make sure that’s filled out. Fill out what you can ie: engine model and serial number. obviously you won’t fill out any title information.

Submit.

Wait half a year for dnr to process it

Get the boat registered and don’t worry about the outboard is what I’d do. They never check it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Get the boat registered and don’t worry about the outboard is what I’d do. They never check it anyway.
    LOL

Make sure the motor has all the necessary serial numbers before buying. A buddy bought a motor out of NC, wasn’t paying attention and got home to find the motor had all the serial numbers ground off. Conveniently the seller was unreachable motors was obviously stolen. Finally got it titled in SC but was a process.
    More Ducks, Less People

I recently did this, but went to the Farmer's Market office. Take a picture of the serial number and print it out along with all the DNR paperwork you can print offline. Very easy process, pretty sure they printed me a title and/or registration card on the spot and received stickers within a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
    I recently did this, but went to the Farmer's Market office. Take a picture of the serial number and print it out along with all the DNR paperwork you can print offline. Very easy process, pretty sure they printed me a title and/or registration card on the spot and received stickers within a week or two.
    X2, picture of serial # is a must.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    LOL
    I don't know if Rosier was kidding or not, but he's not wrong. I didn't have a registered boat motor from about 2002 - 2017 on multiple boats, it was never checked.

Incriminating myself, but I don't really care ... I have 6 trailers (3 boats, 2 utility, 1 enclosed) between North Carolina and Arkansas which both require trailer tags. Never had an issue and I don't have a tag on any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I don't know if Rosier was kidding or not, but he's not wrong. I didn't have a registered boat motor from about 2002 - 2017 on multiple boats, it was never checked.

Incriminating myself, but I don't really care ... I have 6 trailers (3 boats, 2 utility, 1 enclosed) between North Carolina and Arkansas which both require trailer tags. Never had an issue and I don't have a tag on any of them.
    BuT wE mUsT TaX yoUr pRoPeRtY tO kEeP iT sAfE fRoM tHeIvEs.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    BuT wE mUsT TaX yoUr pRoPeRtY tO kEeP iT sAfE fRoM tHeIvEs.
    Does that mean I don't need this insurance I've been paying for every month?

Thanks, government.

It's been said here before, but as long as it has never been titled in SC, all you will need is a bill of sale and a picture of the serial number plate. If it has ever been titled in SC the process involves proving taxes have been paid etc. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post

Dead serious. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by joelt1971 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken get a bill of sale stating that the motor came from NC a non title state along with pictures of the model and serial number on the motor bracket and take that to SCDNR and fill out the appropriate paperwork and that should cover you.
    this
    done it a dozen times

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    and what he said also