Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It’s here

Couldn’t have asked for a better time with my sons. We picked a public field at a halfway point between Charleston and Chapin. Tons of laughs, lots of shooting and and plenty of misses.

It seems like yesterday the oldest had his Red Ryder BB gun and the youngest was retrieving my birds. I am jealous of y’all with young kids, soak up each minute you can with them, you’ll blink and they’ll be grown adults.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Hunted the same public field I have for years. Usually do decent, was extremely slow this year. I believe I saw only 13 birds killed on the sign out sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    I passed you on my way out as you were walking into the parking lot. I met a buddy and his son there to try and work my dog. They weren't in a great spot. Only got to send the dog once.
    My son knocked a few down and the bird landed between him and another young hunter. The other yute straight long gunned my son on the wounded bird and ran and picked it up like it was his! He did this twice to my son and once to my friend that went with us. Buddy folded the bird and it hit the field. Kid ran out there and got it as my buddy was walking to the bird. Buddy said if the kid wanted it that bad, he could have it. We were set up under the power lines between those 2 fields.
    every expert was once a beginner

After our pre-hunt feast we went onto my field near Williston. Instead of cloudy it was sunny and hot. We brought 55 to the table at sundown. We again feasted on left overs. All week lots birds in field. Yet Saturday it was kinda slow.

Upstate field that's usually descent sucked.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Couldn’t have asked for a better time with my sons. We picked a public field at a halfway point between Charleston and Chapin. Tons of laughs, lots of shooting and and plenty of misses.

It seems like yesterday the oldest had his Red Ryder BB gun and the youngest was retrieving my birds. I am jealous of y’all with young kids, soak up each minute you can with them, you’ll blink and they’ll be grown adults.
    Rtic should really work on getting their logo square on their product….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Five Oh View Post
    Its just the top to a 20 year old dove bucket, the ones with the Styrofoam insert and the pockets on the side. Fits inside the lid of the yeti perfect.
    Interesting. I’ve seen a lot of people asking how to retrofit one of these to one of the Loadout buckets, but it fits as is?

Greenwood field sucked pretty bad, field has more millet than the last few years and was pretty loaded last Monday. They all left before Saturday, only had 10 doves fly in and we killed 6. Hopefully they will show up later, checked 2nd field today with plans to shoot tomorrow, it also had a lot on it earlier in the week and didn’t see but 3 this afternoon, so no hunt tomorrow. Turkeys were enjoying the millet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    Interesting. I’ve seen a lot of people asking how to retrofit one of these to one of the Loadout buckets, but it fits as is?

Yep mine just sits right inside fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    Yep mine just sits right inside fine.
    Yup. Fits on the inner lip

I’ve always heard people say doves can leave….here today gone tomorrow, but I have never experienced it in person until this year. Yesterday, my club was a lot slower than usual but I knew I was hunting my place today and was excited because I’ve been loaded down for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Last Sunday was the last time I watched them and they were piling in from everywhere between 4:30pm and 5:30pm. Today it was a toast town. I bet we only say 40 or fifty birds total and killed 13 between 5 people. The craziest thing I’ve ever seen. I don’t know if some lunar event has happened, but the birds have left!

People cutting corn will do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I’ve always heard people say doves can leave….here today gone tomorrow, but I have never experienced it in person until this year. Yesterday, my club was a lot slower than usual but I knew I was hunting my place today and was excited because I’ve been loaded down for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Last Sunday was the last time I watched them and they were piling in from everywhere between 4:30pm and 5:30pm. Today it was a toast town. I bet we only say 40 or fifty birds total and killed 13 between 5 people. The craziest thing I’ve ever seen. I don’t know if some lunar event has happened, but the birds have left!
    You got outfed by a neighbor.

Doves are an unfaithful, fickle creature.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

We ended up having a good shoot despite the freaking flood. We got 6” of rain Saturday within just a few hours. In between downpours they flew pretty well. I will say it was either the weather causing a mid morning feed of ab 2,000 birds or they left over night but we watched 3-4000 birds Friday evening and we didn’t see close to that Saturday afternoon. I’m guessing a lot of the birds we ran out of the field when we entered had full bellies and didn’t come back. We ended up with 424 birds with 31 guns.
    Last edited by Avery1213; 09-04-2022 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    My son knocked a few down and the bird landed between him and another young hunter. The other yute straight long gunned my son on the wounded bird and ran and picked it up like it was his! He did this twice to my son and once to my friend that went with us. Buddy folded the bird and it hit the field. Kid ran out there and got it as my buddy was walking to the bird. Buddy said if the kid wanted it that bad, he could have it. We were set up under the power lines between those 2 fields.
    I can say my son and I had a blast, but I definitely had plenty of opportunity to show him what NOT to do.
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

This and a Hawk been hammering the birds in our area
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

33 birds. Two adult guns and one 9 year old with a .410. My field is about two acres.

^ that sounds like a right fun time!

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Longest corn harvest I can remember, good news is it rains every day so the spillage is sprouting with the quickness.