Thread: Carburetor Fun

Default Carburetor Fun

Before I do something like set it on fire...or dump a magazine into the block I'm reaching out to the braintrust.

I got a bad batch of gas. Maybe I didnt rotate my gas tanks well enough, (try to keep four or five full at the river to eliminate towing the boat to a gas station) but I had a bunch of ethanol balls in my tank(s).

Cleaned the carbs blew out the gas tanks, and replaced pumps.

this motor in particular is a 23 HP Kohler on a zero turn. It will only run now on full choke. I've replaced the gaskets in the front and back. It's getting air somewhere behind the choke. Is there something else I'm missing? Again, gaskets are new. Seals are tight. bolts are torqued down.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Clogged jets from trash in gas. My mower did it two weeks ago in the middle of cutting grass.
    Last edited by Phone Man; 09-02-2022 at 09:45 AM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

on choke to run is clogged jets? I've gone through them pretty thoroughly...throttle up or down and it runs great so long as it's choked.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Does it run great while on choke, or like it’s on choke while it’s on choke? If that makes any sense. It should not run “great” on choke. Reason I ask, your carb may just need tuning. Your getting sufficient fuel at choke, and not enough at “run”.

It runs great while on choke.

Meaning it will only run on choke. Wants to "choke out" if not choked.

To get my grass cut I had to put a vice grip on the choke knob.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 09-02-2022 at 09:58 AM.

The choke is altering the air introduced into it because you likely have a fuel delivery issue and it’s helping it run. When you back the choke off to it’s normal air ratio, your fuel delivery is probably not enough and its turning off.

You might have a slightly clogged jet not allowing as much fuel flow into the carb. Gummed up, etc…….

Clean them really, really well…..used compressed air. Also check your float level.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    The choke is altering the air introduced into it because you likely have a fuel delivery issue and it’s helping it run. When you back the choke off to it’s normal air ratio, your fuel delivery is probably not enough and its turning off.

You might have a slightly clogged jet not allowing as much fuel flow into the carb. Gummed up, etc…….

Clean them really, really well…..used compressed air. Also check your float level.

This. Carb is not 100% clean. Check the price on new ones, sometimes it's easier/cheaper to go that route. How about that 4wheeler, you get it working?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 3 1/2" MAGUM View Post
    This. Carb is not 100% clean. Check the price on new ones, sometimes it's easier/cheaper to go that route. How about that 4wheeler, you get it working?

Mike
    "deep sigh"...not yet. I had the 4wheeler, the buggy, AND the lawnmower to clean the carbs on. Buggy and mower are my priorities.

The voltage regulator and CDI box were for a later model. I bought the right ones replaced them and cleaned the carb on the 4 wheeler. Now I need to buy a battery...been a constant fix on the mower, (after cleaning carb twice...had to trouble shoot and replace the starter too).

I was pretty thorough on cleaning this one. Compressed air. Brush. Wire through jets both high and low speed. I did fumble it on the work bench and thought I bent the idler adjustment screw but was able to get it back in and thought it was a non issue. Reading this maybe it's not a non-issue and it's a root cause.

You could have cleaned the carb fine but if there is gunk in fuel line it will clog it right back up. I dealt with that with my old 25 yamaha and that shitty grey fuel line. Fuel filter on my mower was breaking down and cloggin up jets.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Also, use a small piece of wire or stripped clean bread tie to really clean inside those jets good.

Did you fuck with the mixture adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Did you fuck with the mixture adjustment?
    I pulled all screws to include the idler adjustment and cleaned inside and out. That's what I said I thought I bent when I fumbled it on the bench.

Replace the carb.

Ultrasonic cleaner for carb with simple green. Then use torch tip cleaners for jets.